British and Scandinavian Poultry
9 Years
Dec 11, 2010
Kitsap County, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Last edited:
Deborah,
I just wanted to let you know that I received the juvenile trio of bantam chocolate orpingtons and juvenile quad of blue english orpingtons this morning. They arrived safe and sound and are absolutely GORGEOUS!! I can tell they've been handled and loved a lot too, because, once I took them out of the box, they didn't want to be put down! I'm so pleased and can't wait to see them mature.
Thanks so much!!
Cathy

Deborah,
I just wanted to let you know that I received the juvenile trio of bantam chocolate orpingtons and juvenile quad of blue english orpingtons this morning.  They arrived safe and sound and are absolutely GORGEOUS!!  I can tell they've been handled and loved a lot too, because, once I took them out of the box, they didn't want to be put down!  I'm so pleased and can't wait to see them mature. 
Thanks so much!!
Cathy

Yeah! So glad everyone is happy! Those four blues were part of the gang who jumped out if the brooder whenever someone came to feed, water, or love on them. Really friendly!

r this choco pullets u have for sale crossed w english blacks? If so am very interested.
Right now we have three chocolate pullets for sale. Some of them may be the offspring of a bantam English black/chocolate split hen that was housed with the chocolate flock for a bit, yes. The others would be first generation chocolates from which comes from Jordan Farms, as does our split hen. Richard has routinely crossed English black bantams back into his flock to maintain color.

The black split hen is now housed separately from the chocolate flock.

Right now we have three chocolate pullets for sale. Some of them may be the offspring of a bantam English black/chocolate split hen that was housed with the chocolate flock for a bit, yes. The others would be first generation chocolates from which comes from Jordan Farms, as does our split hen. Richard has routinely crossed English black bantams back into his flock to maintain color.

The black split hen is now housed separately from the chocolate flock.
I'm sorry to say this, but, a hen cannot be a split, even if it comes from Black X Chocolate cross. She can only carry one gene for either black or chocolate. If it has black feathers, then it is pure black. If it has chocolate feathers, then it is pure chocolate. A rooster however carries 2 genes. If both genes are chocolate, then it is pure chocolate. If it has one of each, then it is black split to chocolate. If both genes are black, then it is pure black.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this, but, a hen cannot be a split, even if it comes from Black X Chocolate cross. She can only carry one gene for either black or chocolate. If it has black feathers, then it is pure black. If it has chocolate feathers, then it is pure chocolate. A rooster however carries 2 genes. If both genes are chocolate, then it is pure chocolate. If it has one of each, then it is black split to chocolate. If both genes are black, then it is pure black.

Perhaps the terminology is imprecise. The hen, when bred to a chocolate male, will produce black split to chocolate roos and chocolate females.

Back
Top Bottom