English Sheaperd

I have an Old Time Scotch Collie. You probably don't really want the details, but the English Shepherd breed club has tried to absorb our breed, there's a fair bit of outcrossing between the two.

My collie immediately learned not to bother chickens when I told her not to bother them. She has charged into their run and killed a squirrel and scarcely disturbed them.

ES are supposed to be a 'harder' dog than scotch collies, tough enough to take on recalcitrant cattle. They're supposed to be more likely to be protective, and to be a bit bossy. They have a bit of a reputation for doing stuff like putting the goat back in her pen if she gets out, or trying to put the pet bunny back in its cage when the kids have it out to play.

I currently have four ES, and had a fifth through adulthood. They are highly variable and much of that variability is learned / trained. Despite my having sheep and goats, their primary responsibility is guarding. The younger dogs ALL cause trouble although by the time they are two years with a fair amount of work, the trouble making is done. Some mature faster than others. Current male had head in the game around chickens by one year while females we raised from birth required full two years.

I wasn't sure were to post this. I was wondering if any of you have English shepherds. We are looking to adopt one and I was wondering how they do around chickens. I heard they have a prey drive but they are also good herding dogs. What is your experience.
Aside from already having chickens, what is your intent? What kind of resources do you have?

Aside from already having chickens, what is your intent? What kind of resources do you have?
We live in a neighborhood so we aren’t looking for a guardian dog but we have some fox issues so maybe it will be intimidated by this dog, that’s not the main reason but it would be nice. We have two dogs already one is 14 and has recently started going deaf and our 4 year old dog gets pretty anxious and we are looking for something for her when the time comes for our other dog. We are going to get this puppy Sunday and we are looking at a male.

Can you describe yard where chickens and dogs do their days? My dogs love to chase fox although they have to know when it is around. You can still have fox snatch a chicken and run away with it if dog not aware or unable to respond quickly enough.

Lots of dogs in a neighborhood setting can be problematic without even considering chickens and fox.

We have about half an acre with a screed in deck under in is a shady area and right next to the area we have the chicken run were they stay when they are not free ranging. On the far corner of the yard we have a bee apiary and the rest of the yard is pretty much open space. I know the dog wont completely solve the fox problem but i'm hoping it will help. We just called the place and they have found two dogs that will work for us they are both male which makes me feel better.

I think electrified poultry netting would be a better option and would work immediately when compared to delay associated with new pup.

For me, it takes well over a hundred chickens on several acres to justify a dog. Then the system works far better when fences also in place. If the dog has other value, then things can be different. I resorted to fencing off my bee yard to keep neighbors away anyway.

Back
Top Bottom