Enlarged craw

Thanks for chiming in @NatJ!

I joined BYC to get some help for my sick bird, so I know what it's like to try and find some advice. I'm a newbie, still, so I'm not a lot of help...

Thank you all again. We massagedher crop regularly, and she ate lots of coconut oil this week. She would drool and bring up what looked like dirt. Her crop would then be very soft. We put her back with the others and she seems fine, she eats and drinks and runs when she sees us coming. Her crop is very large again but not firm. We will just keep an eye on her and make sure she continues to eat and drink.
Thank you again!!
She is not laying any eggs. If she wasn't our daughters favorite.....

If her crop is still not emptying by morning, I would continue to address the symptoms.
Sometimes when it's pendulous the crop needs to be lifted with a bra in order to get it to drain properly. While coconut oil can be very helpful if the crop is hanging low the contents are not able to empty into the proventriculus. This can eventually sour and cause a yeast infection (Sour Crop).

1711939422139.jpeg

If her crop is still not emptying by morning, I would continue to address the symptoms.
Sometimes when it's pendulous the crop needs to be lifted with a bra in order to get it to drain properly. While coconut oil can be very helpful if the crop is hanging low the contents are not able to empty into the proventriculus. This can eventually sour and cause a yeast infection (Sour Crop).

View attachment 3788028
Is a bra something she will always need or will her crop lift up eventually and she will be "normal" again?

Back
Top Bottom