Enormous Crop

Adolph Otto

Songster
May 2, 2022
SE Massachusetts
Hello All,
My English Orp, 15 mos. old, has a very enlarged crop. She has been exhibiting broody behavior, such as reluctance to leave the nest, and constant clucking, for the past 2-3 days. That's when she also laid last. I was just checking her out and noticed the crop. Wow!
Any advice most gratefully welcomed. She's a very sweet bird.
Thanks,
Stephen
ADD: Appetite is good, and when I place her on the ground she is pretty active, although clucking continuously.

n
IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg
IMG_4628.jpg

Last edited:
The crop may have looked so large due to the loss of feathers on her upper chest. This may also point toward broodiness. This morning she was sitting on another hen's egg, and she continues clucking continually. She is completely submissive when I pick her up off the nest; no pecking or aggression at all. However, yesterday she really screeched when she saw another hen in the nest.
I am keeping her in the run by day, but I'm not sure if I should close off the nests at night, thus restricting the other 2 from laying there. Although, many times they lay in the run without a problem. Any thoughts?

The crop may have looked so large due to the loss of feathers on her upper chest. This may also point toward broodiness. This morning she was sitting on another hen's egg, and she continues clucking continually. She is completely submissive when I pick her up off the nest; no pecking or aggression at all. However, yesterday she really screeched when she saw another hen in the nest.
I am keeping her in the run by day, but I'm not sure if I should close off the nests at night, thus restricting the other 2 from laying there. Although, many times they lay in the run without a problem. Any thoughts?
I somehow missed this post, sorry about that!

How is she doing now though?

Back
Top Bottom