Enrichment for Ducks

Jun 13, 2022
Hey! Ive got 6 Indian Runner Ducks that all live together. I like in the UK and are unfortunately in a hotspot of avian flu, so the ducks have been locked away to their pen (before they would free range through the garden). Their pen has their coop, food&water and a large paddling pool that they love. However I am really struggling for enrichment ideas, they love meals worms as treats and I chuck them in the water and they love that but its only lasts a few minutes. I feel so sorry for them and feel they are so bored. Ive tried looking for toys and enrichment items for ducks but cant find anything. Anyone have any ideas for some fun things for the ducks? I am happy to be creative but just feel so sorry for them 🦆

Sorry to hear about their confinement. Although, honestly, my runners -- who spend their days outside their shelter/run -- often seem content to just lie around.

If you want to find something less expensive than mealworms to toss into the water, you might use frozen peas. My runners have always loved those.

I’ll second frozen peas. They were the ultimate in treats for my runners.

Have you considered just an old fashioned mud puddle? My ducks loved anything related to water, puddles in muddy areas were a particularly enjoyable experience in addition to the pool.

I agree with parrot toys. I actually need to order more, but my ducks especially loved the ones with mirrors, bells and little balls on the ends. During the day they never used them, but then again they are always outside during the day. However, whenever I would put them to bed or walk into the barn before I let them out there was always at least one duck playing with a toy I had hanging up. It will probably take a few weeks to a month for them to get used to them when you first put them in, but once they realize the funny colored blocks with bells aren't going to eat them they start to play.

we have snuffle mats and snuffle balls for our ducks and they are 100% the best toys i've ever bought them. they also like parrot toys (the ones you can hang on walls), the ball toys for cats that make a bell sound when you throw them, snuggle puppy, and burrow toys (the ones meant for dogs)
Can you please share some pictures of your mats and toys when you are able? I was just talking with my hubby last night about improving enrichment over the winter months, and I was thinking of building a foraging box (kind of like a sand box for kids with hidden treats), but we couldn’t quite come up with the perfect design, and couldn’t decide on a safe but interesting substrate.

I agree with parrot toys. I actually need to order more, but my ducks especially loved the ones with mirrors, bells and little balls on the ends. During the day they never used them, but then again they are always outside during the day. However, whenever I would put them to bed or walk into the barn before I let them out there was always at least one duck playing with a toy I had hanging up. It will probably take a few weeks to a month for them to get used to them when you first put them in, but once they realize the funny colored blocks with bells aren't going to eat them they start to play.
Maybe I need to move mine into their house. I have one hanging about head level from a tree, with a shiny ball, bell and everything. Thinking they would love it, but they don't really mess with it. But maybe it needs to go inside so they have something to play with when they are hiding out from the weather during the day.

I second the cat toys that have a ball with a bell in it. I just have mine out in the yard and they play with them. I have an old dog bed that has a shag top and they treat that like a snuffle mat, preening area and resting place because it sits right next to our porch door. The dog has been booted from it, but he seems ok with it.

I second the mud pool! Also if you can get some bales of straw, my ducks love pecking at my bales of pine straw looking for bugs and climbing onto them -- my pekins like climbing on them, not just my muscovy. I make a fort rampart shape -- taking care that the stacked bales are stable as I wouldn;t want to injur ducks with falling bales

Back
Top Bottom