Entire flock is sneezing, and a chick seems to have depth perception issues

Lyris

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Whatever they have started in the brooder. I *think* it came from the brooder getting dirty while I was away over a weekend. The slightly older chick began sneezing, but had no other signs of illness. At the time the chicks had paper towels as bedding while I waited for pine shavings to get in. While I was gone they tore them up and created a mess. (They had a babysitter, but they weren't very experienced and it was an unexpected trip for me) After about a week I noticed the other four chicks in the brooder were also sneezing. Again, no other signs of illness. They were all very active and happy. That was roughly three weeks ago? About two weeks ago I noticed my backyard flock also began sneezing. One chicken got pretty sick and had no appetite for two days, but he's since recovered. I still sometimes catch one or two of them sneezing and scratching their nose afterwards, but it's uncommon enough that I can't confirm it's the illness.
My biggest concern is one of the larger chicks seems to have depth perception issues. I don't think she's blind - she doesn't act like the blind chicken I once had. She can recognize the larger hens easily enough and knows to avoid her. She also sees my hand if I wave it by her face. But she can't seem to pinpoint foods. She attacks to the right of it if it's in my hand. She will go after my fingers, but I can't tell if that's because my fingers are wiggling a bit or the contrast from finger to grass. When she finds it she's good at finding it again, even if that means shoving her right eye into the grass to get half an inch away from the food. I have to help her find the mealworm I'm holding for her and half the time it doesn't seem to 'click' where it is. I genuinely can't figure out how she's blind or what she can't see. She is also still sneezing, especially if she gets excited. I noticed today that the other chicks are also sneezing a bit if they get excited. I was able to contact the breeder who I adopted the blind one from and asked about health issues. They're very fussy about their breeding line and guaranteed that there's no bad genes in their flocks. They're very concerned and want me to keep them updated in case they need to cull some of their flock.

I have the younger chicks isolated from the older ones, and always have except for one incident. I'm not completely sure how the illness got from one flock to the other, but I know it started with some new chickens I got. I adopted five chickens from different sellers at a poultry show. Two of them came down with the illness around the same time (the rooster and the larger chick. I'm pretty sure the brooder got sick first, but now I'm second guessing myself) but it didn't seem to affect the other chickens I got at the same time. In fact the rooster has a bonded hen he's ALWAYS with who never got sick. Before I realized my adult chickens were sick I let the new ones mingle with my established flock a little after quarantine time.

The nearest poultry vet lives over an hour away from me, and is booked out for over a month. :( I do can't really afford it after spending nearly a thousand dollars on my aging kitty last week.(The masses on her liver are benign, yay!) Can I do anything for them at home? Is the blindness a fluke, or could it be related to the illness? There's no signs of eye gunk. Can it get better? Did I blind my chicken by not cleaning the coop?? The breeder didn't notice any problems before selling them, and has since had their flock professionally checked by a vet. I have access to animal feed stores. Can I buy something there for them?

The outside flock is 90% fed from whatever they find in the yard, 10% egg layer chicken food and table scraps. They have access to fresh water and chicken food 24/7. The onside chicks are on chick starter and table scraps. They're starting to transition to larger bird food though. It should be noted that while they have plenty of fresh water, they prefer to share the old standing rain water that's full of bugs and other gross stuff with my cats. The longer it's been going stale the better. My cats haven't been ill and all have their shots so it's not them.

Acquiring chicks from multiple breeders is a common way to introduce a respiratory or other chronic disease in a flock. Also chicken shows can be scary with so many chickens and owners. Some people don’t have any idea about diseases or biosecurity. Some just don’t care if they sell birds who could be a carrier. If one chicken in the breeder’s flock has ever had a respiratory disease, then all birds are carriers. It is hard to contain it 100%. MG, one of several respiratory diseases, can also be transmitted through hatching eggs. Infectious bronchitis, is a common disease as well. Can you see any bubbles or foam in one of the eyes, or any swelling of an eyelid in the sick chicks? Brooder pneumonia, a fungal infection from mold from water spills in the brooder, can cause aspergillosis. So sorry that you are dealing with this illness. Symptoms can sometimes give a clue to which one of the handful of common diseases. If you lose one, your state vet can do a necropsy and help to diagnose it.

Acquiring chicks from multiple breeders is a common way to introduce a respiratory or other chronic disease in a flock. Also chicken shows can be scary with so many chickens and owners. Some people don’t have any idea about diseases or biosecurity. Some just don’t care if they sell birds who could be a carrier. If one chicken in the breeder’s flock has ever had a respiratory disease, then all birds are carriers. It is hard to contain it 100%. MG, one of several respiratory diseases, can also be transmitted through hatching eggs. Infectious bronchitis, is a common disease as well. Can you see any bubbles or foam in one of the eyes, or any swelling of an eyelid in the sick chicks? Brooder pneumonia, a fungal infection from mold from water spills in the brooder, can cause aspergillosis. So sorry that you are dealing with this illness. Symptoms can sometimes give a clue to which one of the handful of common diseases. If you lose one, your state vet can do a necropsy and help to diagnose it.

It was my first and only time going to a poultry show, that's for sure. I went because it was the only place to acquire a specific breed I wanted. They're a fairly rare breed from what I've been told. That breeder is the one who is in contact with me and is concerned about their flock being infected. For the time being I'm pretty confident that it didn't come from them. The other chickens though... The rooster and his mated hen were terrified of humans. The hen still is, even with a lot of work. When I brought them home they had a mix of snapped off claws and claws that were too long and painful to walk. A third chicken I got from them was in perfect condition, just skitterish. Considering the state of their setup I considered it more of a rescue than an adoption.

I've checked their eyes carefully. There's no bubbles, pus, or any kind of gunk. I'll see if the older chick will hold still for a closer inspection though. I might have to borrow a friend to help hold her. Since moving them to a larger cage I've noticed the bigger one isn't as active. I'm not sure if that's just because they're older than the other three and have settled down, or if they don't feel well. I'm monitoring her food intake as of today. The chicks she is isolated with only have sneezing and no eye issues that I can see. They happily eat anything they can get their little beaks on, fingers included. The smallest ones have gotten their adult feathering mostly in. I'm where they're bigger it'll help their chances of recovering.

If it is brooder pneumonia, wouldn't it have run its course by now? Or show other symptoms beyond sneezing? I've tried listening for any rattling, but to be completely honest I'm a bit deaf so it's hard to tell. I *might* also be dealing with kind of runny poops in the older chickens. Since I noticed it after I cleaned out the fridge and gave them all the leftovers I'm waiting to see if it was triggered by a food or if they also have issues. If I catch any of the bigger ones sneezing again I'll see if I can corner them and check their eyes as well. They're rescues and don't really like being handled yet. The rooster at least seems to have made a full recovery. He's gone from sitting in a corner with his eyes half closed all day to crowing and marching his hen around the yard. He's currently outside crowing his little heart out because his little lady successfully laid her egg. Like she does every day. Which reminds me, at the time I cooked their eggs and fed them back to the chickens. Is it possible maybe the adults transferred something to the chicks via scrambled egg?

Nothing would have been transmitted by feeding cooked scrambled egg because of the the hot temperature. With no bubbles or foam in eyes, you may be dealing with a virus, such as infectious bronchitis. That can last about a month. But if it is brooder pneumonia, aspergillosis can be a chronic fungal infection. I am not a vet, and no one can diagnose the sick chicks without testing or a necropsy if you lose one. Keep things dry and clean in the brooder, and promote good overhead ventilation. Prevent spills by raising waterers and feeder to shoulder height of the smallest ones. Let us know how they get along.

Nothing would have been transmitted by feeding cooked scrambled egg because of the the hot temperature. With no bubbles or foam in eyes, you may be dealing with a virus, such as infectious bronchitis. That can last about a month. But if it is brooder pneumonia, aspergillosis can be a chronic fungal infection. I am not a vet, and no one can diagnose the sick chicks without testing or a necropsy if you lose one. Keep things dry and clean in the brooder, and promote good overhead ventilation. Prevent spills by raising waterers and feeder to shoulder height of the smallest ones. Let us know how they get along.

Is there anything I can give them to help maybe boost their immune systems to fight it off? Herbal or otherwise? I do have Tiagard, could I add that to their water to maybe help? My expertise is in dealing with cat health. Chickens are a whole new ball game for me in terms of medical care. Google says to use everything from Corid to Garlic, or don't use either because they're toxic, or do use them but in specific amounts that's either diluted or not diluted, and either put it in their water or give it to them directly. I don't want to give them anything that might harm them or weaken their immune systems needlessly.

I'll make an appointment with the vet, but if it's something I can possibly try treating at home I would prefer that.

Back
Top Bottom