Entire flock severely bullying each other

They haven’t had scratch since winter, I was giving it to them to keep them from being board and it didn’t help the boredom. I’ve upped their protein with kalmbach feather plume and it didn’t help and gave them diarrhea. Now I’m just adding catfood as a small treat here and there. They’ve always been on kalmbach layer pellets. Right I’m concerned that it’s too far past fixing at this point because I didn’t know what the issue was for so long and was just trying thing one at a time to see if it resolved. My run is small, but we couldn’t go much bigger due to ordinance, but once we rebuilt, the size run I have now was $1000 to rebuild to completely seal any access size down to 1/2inch. Even underground. Dang birds! I don’t want to give up on them but I’m also not rich. I’m hoping their new home will be what they need.
Hopefully the change in environment will do the trick. 🤞
If not, don't feel bad about culling them, sounds like you've done about as much as you can do for them.

Hopefully the change in environment will do the trick. 🤞
If not, don't feel bad about culling them, sounds like you've done about as much as you can do for them.
Thank you so much for your support. I feel guilty because I didn’t catch it sooner. But I had never seen them do it, so I didn’t even think that was the issue. I thought MAYBE they were doing it while roosting, because I hadn’t witnessed it myself. It wasn’t until I read that article and then went to the run to watch them (after new chickens were put in the coop, still separated by a hardware cloth lean-to barrier) to get acclimated that I watched the aggression pick up outside of the norm and witnessed hens pinning each other down and ripping feathers out. I broke it up twice with 4 different hens before I got upset walked away. It seems now on top of bullying each other, they’re trying to reform their pecking order and it’s just insanity. I’m definitely not getting rid of my babies I hatched, I picked special breeds and they’re my first babies I’ve ever hatched. I’ve noticed my two olive eggers look the worst, but also are picking on others more than other breeds. My 4 americanas look the best.. but they’re picking the same amount as everyone else. I can’t tell if some are policing and just seem more aggressive, or they’re the main bullies. I’m so confused.

Nice size on coop, but are there any windows and ventilation?
Run may be a bit small for that many birds.
Yes, two windows on the run side and one window on the opposite side for air to flow through, all sealed with hardware cloth, and are above all roosts for winter ventilation. We positioned the windows like that for proper air circulation/ventilation during both seasons.

Back
Top Bottom