Escaped donkey story - sad

Buff Hooligans

Scrambled
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
Reinforce those fences and gates, for those of you who love your little escape artist friends.

Escaped donkey struck and killed on Route 6A

May 29, 2008

EAST SANDWICH, MA - Genevieve, a beloved 40-year-old donkey at Wing Scorton Farm on Route 6A, was struck and killed early this morning.

The donkey, one of dozens of animals that call Dick and Sheila Loring’s farm home, strayed from its corral. That’s not unusual, Dick Loring said, but it was a surprise that the animal wandered all the way to Route 6A.

“He and the horse had a major way of opening gates,” Dick Loring said.

The farm was a flurry of activity this morning. Young lambs suckling on their mothers, a horse eating a snack out of Sheila Loring’s hand and three golden retrievers offering friendly wags to visitors.

“Life and death is just such a part of farm life,” said Loring. “We lost her last night, but three new baby lambs were born this morning.”

Wing Scorton Farm is a sprawling 7 acres of corrals and chicken coops. The Lorings sell about 450 dozen eggs a day to area convenience stores and folks who drop by the farm and plop $3 into a tin can.

Last edited:
Poor thing. 40 years old!
sad.png

Quote:
Well, if it was a one time thing, no but, if you have an animal that you know opens the gate it is your responsibilty to come up with someway to keep it secured that they can't undo. At least according to law around here.

Personnally I think it's cute and if they were far enough away from the highway that they didn't bother it what's the harm?

It's not hard to secure gates... I have yet to see an equine be able to undo a snap. In fact, our gates at home are all locked with a length of chain with a snap on it- it's pretty horse-proof.

If it's undone- they know it- and if there isn't a pile of food in the corral they are outta there. Woke up to one of them on the front lawn having breakfast once...
roll.png

Very sad, though. Sounds like she led a long life despite her habits- hope it was a good one.

My QH is quite adept at getting out of a pasture that is not electric, and no he doesnt use the gate. He pushes down the fence. I put wooden top rails prior to the electric and watched him break each one. He thought it was a new game to break all the boards. He would push on them til they broke and then move on to the next one. The sheriff asked me if I had had vandals. I said yes, him and pointed to my QH.

Heidi, my littlest goat, will get through a very small hole in the fence.

I have taken measures to keep my animals in so they are safe and secure, however, I don't blame myself for them finding other ways to get out of the pasture. Usually, they get out and come up by the house and eat the grass there.

I had a neighbor's horse show up on my doorstep one morning about 3 am and she had barbed wire wrapped around her back leg. I cut it off and called the vet. She must have gotten spooked and went through the fence.

Does sound like the donkey lived a long happy life, to be 40.

Quote:
Believe it or not my little trickster of a pony has and will undo snaps on chain. I have no idea how in the world he does this but he's gotten out a fair share of times, he also jumped the fence one night when there was a thunderstorm, hes only 14 hh but he jumped a 5 and 1/2 foot fence, so they definately will find odd ways to get out.

Last edited:
i was just going to say that ive know of horses mules an donks an cows that can unspapp a chain an open the gate.so it isnt the owners falt.

Back
Top Bottom