Essential oils and chickens

breezy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Sand Coulee MT
Has anyone ever used essential oils on their chickens for injuries or illness? If you have what oils did you use and for what conditons or wounds? Thanks

My chicken has had somewhat loose stools, little interest in eating, some hiding and lethargy, and just today I noticed her shaking her head very so often. So, the search for help is on...In another thread, someone suggested using oregano oil called Ropadiar in chicken's water. I'm considering trying straight Oregano oil in my chicken's water, but I'm unsure what ratio to give her.

Any suggestions? I'm an official Essential Oil junkie, using Young Living products for a few years now.

Okay, so I did put a couple of drops of oregano oil and a few drop of olive oil in my girl's water. Within 15 minutes she pushed out a broken and rotten egg. I now believe it was the oils that did the trick.
However, as mentioned previously, I don't know that I would've done this had I not thought she would have died without trying.

I used essential oils (about 10 drops of each - lavender, citronella, lemongrass, and cedarwood) mixed with water in a 16oz spray bottle to spray my girls and their barn when I clean it. I have definitely noticed fewer flies and lice.

I just saw this post.. :( Sorry I didnt see it before..... Wanted to share that I use various essential oils with my chickens and other animals I have done so for several years with great results.. The list of oils is so long for different issues. But the ones I would say I use the most.

Cloves: Has many uses. I often use it in a spray bottle and added to my girls to repel bugs. when I have an injured girl I have even added a few drops to a base oil like almond or grape seed to rub on the area around the wound. Its a great anti septic and seems to aid in pain relief. Also if there is any feather pecking going on. Spraying the victim bird with cloves and water dilution seems to keep the others at bay.

Tea Tree Oil.. I use this for countless things Spraying diluted in the coop, if a bath is needed I add few drops of TT oil and sprigs of rosemary. Its great to get rid of any lice or bugs that might be lurking.

Lavender: I often use this if I have a injured or ill bird or animal. Sometimes I add Bergamot oil just drop or two. to the ill animals bedding or crate. Putting a few drops on a cotton cloth and tucking it where they are kept always seems to have a calming effect on the animals.

Peppermint, Spearmint and Wintergreen are wonderful for using in the coop to repel flies and other bugs. The only caution on mints is that they can be toxic at times and do sting if applies to open skin or a mucas membrane area. So I usually do not use them on any open wounds. They can be used as a sore muscle rub and work fantastic. I think the deal with mint family is in moderation and use common sense.

FYI.... I also hang Mint leaves, lavender, rosemary, thyme, oregano stems in bunches from the ceiling and door of my coops. Freshens the coop air and repels bugs :)

That would be correct. Any essential oil in concentrated form should be used with caution on poultry and other small animals. Even some need to be diluted when used on people.
I have the animal essential oil desk reference book. Plus the CARE training I attended added a lot of knowledge for using the oils.

I am new to chickens, I've read four books from the library but panicked last night when we noticed our 4 week olds had the starts of bramblefoot. I was on the phone with my mom who has used Young Living oils for a decade. I read online to soak their feet/legs in warm water mixed with Epsom salt. I drew up the water and added one drop of Theives and a drop of lemon to the water. I soaked both birds feet for 20 minutes and changed the water for the second bird. Both girls feet look much better after one foot bath. I can see where the bumps were, but they are no longer red and the swelling is down. I will continue to watch them and many repeat tomorrow if needed.

Breezy,

I followed this post for several days and surely thought there would be some responses, and I was very curious as to what folks would say.

I have heard to not use essential oils on chickens, as you never know how it will affect them.

Now..that being said, I have a hen that has become an internal layer. That means pretty much a death sentence for a chicken unless they get a hysterectomy, and even thats a bit iffy.

Now, I am a big fan of essential oils for MYSELF, my own person. I never used them on my chickens as I read how dangerous it could be. That is until my Red became an internal layer.

She gets REALLY bad, I was first lubing her up really well with olive oil, but that wasnt doing the trick. ( I have a needleless big size syringe I use for this and am very careful to do it slow and easy and not TOO much so as to hurt her).

Red is one of my first babies, so I love her dearly. Knowing how powerful Oregano oil is, I later (after a few days) put a couple of drops in the olive oil (NEVER USE ESSENTIAL OILS FULL STRENGTH, they give a chemical BURN!!!!) That seemed to help her quite a lot, but didnt pull her out of her funk.

This last time, instead of a few drops of Oregano oil, I used several drops of Nutmeg oil. Nutmeg oil is a wonderful painkiller. I must say, the first time I used it, she pulled out of her sickness (altho never did lay) and even started eating well and chasing the other hens and terrorizing the yard again.

She has done quite well for a very sick girl. This morning I found her so bad tho, she was not getting up and had about the equivalent of four yellow yolks on her and where she sleeps. She wouldnt even eat a grape this morning, or hamburger. I gave her another warm bath with the nutmeg/olive oil treatment, left her with plenty of food. When I got home tonite, she looked pretty sick still but is eating at least now.

This has been going on for at least a couple months now, I know I am losing the battle, and I would never have used an essential oil on her if I thought she weren't in imminent danger of dying anyhow.
In Red's case, its been a very good thing for her, and prolonged her days at least until she could enjoy the sunshine and springtime. It also kept her from being in pain, as if she acted like she was hurting I would not have kept her going for two months.

Anyhow, sorry this is so long, but this is something I was also interested in and thought I would relate my story.

Jill

Thanks for sharing. I use essential oils a lot on dogs and on a few cats as well as myself but have been unable to locate any references to the use of them for birds of any kind. May I ask why you chose oregano for the first treatment? Its an oil I usually use for its anti viral properties. I have been wondering if ravensara would be effective for some of the respiratory ailments chickens get and if lavender and helichrysum can be used for wound treatment and trauma. Maybe those people who use essential oils can explore essential oil use when the need arises and then post on it so we can gather what works and what doesnt. I really hope your hen does ok.

That is exactly why I used oregano, the antiviral and antibiotic properties it has.

Usually internal layers are then accompanied by an internal infection and many times that is what ends up killing them.

She responded to it, but she just seems to respond better to the nutmeg, not sure if its becuz its such a strong pain killer, or what.

I love nutmeg oil myself, almost go into a dream state anymore when I have someone rub it on my back when I am hurting, etc.
At first I found the smell annoying, but its funny when the mind accompanies a smell with "feel good" how you begin to like the smell real quick.
lol.png

It was the ONLY thing I found (mixed with olive oil) that helped my neck when I had a car injury. Tried everything, painkillers, muscle rubs, you name it, and absolutely nothing really dented it. I had bought some on a trip that said good for a muscle rub and thought, what the hay, tried everything else, and was the first time I was pain free in weeks. So I am sold on the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom