Estes Hatchery Ducklings- Please Respond

AnconaDuckFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
I have ordered 20 female Ancona ducklings from Estes Hatchery. They are due to ship tomorrow and arrive Friday. Can I please have some reviews of the ducklings ordered from here and how the sexing was(if you got it)
Thanks and please respond

I can't speak for that particular hatchery, but I will say ducklings can be sexed far more easily than chicks. I received a similar sized order from Metzer and all were female.

I ordered sexed Ancona ducklings from Estes hatchery too. How was your experience?

I wanted 3 females and a drake, and only one of the four is quacking at eight weeks! The other ones have a hoarse whispery peep. I'm afraid they might have gotten it backwards!

I ordered sexed Ancona ducklings from Estes hatchery too. How was your experience?

I wanted 3 females and a drake, and only one of the four is quacking at eight weeks! The other ones have a hoarse whispery peep. I'm afraid they might have gotten it backwards!
Sounds like they gave you one female and the rest males!

Yup! They accidentally sent all males and 1 female--not the ratio I was hoping for in my primarily egg-laying small pet flock!

Since they're not labelled as male/female when shipped, and my invoice was correct, I didn't discover the mistake until their voices changed...hard to rehome at that point, and I was attached to them, not suspecting they might be male. Since there was one female, I couldn't even keep a bachelor flock without rehoming the female.

The hatchery has since apologized and sent more females. (But my male:female ratio still isn't what I ordered). I hope they will all get along!

Back
Top Bottom