Ethel needs some TLC.

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
I have a lovely SLW that showed up at my coop earlier this summer.
Due to the nature of her arrival, I don't know much about her-- she was owned by an elderly lady who has since passed. I assume she is older.

Since the beginning, she has had the hardest adjustment, and lately I noticed she is just looking.... rough. She sleeps on the floor below the roots and gets filthy. Her wings are droopy. Her comb is pale and yellow. Her friends she came with have largely abandoned her to free range with the rest of the flock, so she spends a lot of time alone, and likes to come into the house. How can I perk her up? Where to start? A bath? Anyone have some supplements to recommend?
20220810_155341.jpg

You could make her a "house" pet.
Have you checked her over for external parasites or injury? It's very possible she was spoiled by the lady, at the bottom of the pecking order with her flock, more so now. Chickens do not like changes, I've read & since learned. Could we get a picture of her head area? Is she pooping ok? Has her wings always hung "low", possible it's normal for her. Assuming she's eating/drinking/pooping ...
Here's a link, you can see if it's of any help.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Check her for lice and mites, but I suspect she's very likely starting to molt.

Is there plenty of room on the roosts for her? Can she fly well enough to get up there?

If there is plenty of room up there and she can either fly or walk up a ramp to it, I'd put her up there every night until she starts going up on her own.

Back
Top Bottom