Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Yes, Eddie does have a big cluster of pure white tail feathers. Zuri is slightly bigger (taller at least), but with the white legs and side sprigs on his comb. I don't know which flaws are worse. Eddie has a nicer comb and yellow legs, but his feather coloring is off. I may get some of Zuri's offspring accidentally, although I have only seen him mate with a few hens, and never the Basque, so far. None of my birds, male or female, are at all friendly, which brings me to my next question:
Should I bother to breed these birds? Is there any chance I will get the exceptionally friendly birds everyone is talking about if I am starting with non-friendly stock? They are pretty, and good layers so far, and despite my occasional tussle with Eddie, I would not call him mean, just excitable.
The only local source of eggs I know has a mix of friendly and non-friendly Basque. Should I proceed with what I have, or find someone who's stock is ridiculously friendly and start fresh, even if it means shipped eggs? I'm going to be getting other shipped eggs this spring anyway...

I would pair Zuri to two clean combed, yellow legged, dark red EO hens if I was trying to maintain the breed to the Spanish standard, and I only had those two cockerel choices... I don't know that that would be right, just what my gut tells me to do at this stage of the chicken game.

"I would pair Zuri to two clean combed, yellow legged, dark red EO hens if I was trying to maintain the breed to the Spanish standard, and I only had those two cockerel choices... I don't know that that would be right, just what my gut tells me to do at this stage of the chicken game."

Thanks. I actually have only 2 hens, but one does have yellow legs. She is brown/red, not terribly dark. The other has pale legs (willow?) and has the speckled pattern. It will be fun to see what I get for offspring, using either rooster.

EUSKAL OILOA ZILARRA. European Championship 2012 (LEIPZIG)
Nice video Lys!! Nice to see you!! You have been off the EO Forum for awhile too, miss you
hugs.gif

One of my Marraduna pullets started laying last week. I wanted to make sure of the egg color so have not posted until now.

This is what she lays:

The egg looks brown when wet and the coating stays on through washing.

Looks really pink. Are you saing to spots don't come off if you wash?

I washes it dish soap and a scrub sponge and it dried looking like that. The marans egg loses the coating when I have to wash like that.

I hope she keeps laying eggs like that!

Back
Top Bottom