Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I guess I'll find out if I have this issue this spring.

I was happy to see a Basque egg today! First one since December 13th. They've been on winter break.

I feel bad for my rooster. He's got frostbite on his wattles and it is headed back below zero again this week.

Well, I don't know what caused this leg issue, but it is not resolving. It was mentioned on another portion of the forum that the leg looks twisted, and I tend to agree. Not being an aviary vet, or even that experienced with chickens, I can't say for sure. It was walking on it some this morning, but as the day has progressed, it has stopped getting up on the leg. May be painful. This chick was hatched from Greenfire's former chickens, so I don't think it is inbreeding.

The egg was a pretty good sized egg. Could it be that there wasn't enough space in the egg? Once hatched, it was on shelf paper.

I was happy to see a Basque egg today! First one since December 13th. They've been on winter break.

I feel bad for my rooster. He's got frostbite on his wattles and it is headed back below zero again this week.

I saw Bob B. posting in the HLF thread about this subject. He recommended putting the rooster in a cardboard box on the floor of the coop after dark. Then let him out at dawn the next morning. A little labor intensive, but you needed him intact for show, I can see where it would be worth the effort. Oh and frostbite can knock his fertility back, too, I believe.

Well, I don't know what caused this leg issue, but it is not resolving. It was mentioned on another portion of the forum that the leg looks twisted, and I tend to agree. Not being an aviary vet, or even that experienced with chickens, I can't say for sure. It was walking on it some this morning, but as the day has progressed, it has stopped getting up on the leg. May be painful. This chick was hatched from Greenfire's former chickens, so I don't think it is inbreeding.

The egg was a pretty good sized egg. Could it be that there wasn't enough space in the egg? Once hatched, it was on shelf paper.

I dispatched a week old chick this evening with these issues.
sad.png
It was out of former GFF stock too.

All current EO in North America are descended from the same Canadian stock, so if this is not incubation or flooring issues...
hu.gif

I saw Bob B. posting in the HLF  thread about this  subject. He recommended putting the rooster in a cardboard box on the floor of the coop after dark. Then let him out at dawn the next morning. A little labor intensive, but you needed him intact for show, I can see where it would be worth the effort. Oh and frostbite can knock his fertility back, too, I believe.

Hmmm... Well that would probably work, but I can't see it happening. Many times, I don't get home until after dark. This flock has taken to roosting on top of a wall up in the ceiling, so it would involve stepladders and flashlights to get to him. :/
I wish that I only liked the breeds with little tiny combs, but that is not the case.

Well, regardless of the origin of this problem, will have to cull this chick. I just hate to do it. I am going to double check my temp to see what my incubator is running. I think it is right on, but maybe not. I don't want to be the cause of this happening again.

I do have four other basques. They are between 3 and 4 weeks old and getting big. The biggest is 10 ounces! We weighed them tonight, just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom