Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

We all spend lots of money and time on incubators, but the ole timers will tell you the most "sure-fire" way is to use a broody hen.........I'm hopeing I have some EO's go broody this year.....you can always break-them-up if you don't want them sitting. I think some broodiness is a 'good' thing.......Mike

Got 6 eggs last monday. Two had blood rings in them :(. Four eggs have lively babies moving around. The women who I got the eggs from gave me Four more eggs to replace the one orig. egg that aborted. I'm very greatful she gave me Four eggs. So I have Four more eggs cooking in the bator. Fingers crossed they all hatch :)

Last edited:
Got 6 eggs last monday. Two had blood rings in them :(. Four eggs have lively babies moving around. The women who I got the eggs from gave me Four more eggs to replace the one orig. egg that aborted. I'm very greatful she gave me Four eggs. So I have Four more eggs cooking in the bator. Fingers crossed they all hatch :)
fl.gif
I hope you have a great hatch!

15 shipped eggs, 10 were good, right now hatching underway looks like so far we have 6 that are hatched. Will take some pictures of them once we move them to the brooder.
jumpy.gif

Ok...here's where I think this hatch will end, 9 of the 10 eggs hatched, 1 chick that hatched had a unabsorbed yolk sack, unfortunately that chick
expired. 1 egg is still in the hatcher but it is day 23 today so it doesn't look promising for this egg.
We have 8 healthy looking Marraduna Basque in the brooder 2 days old now. We notice some of these are a lighter color & some are darker red, we are thinking the lighter ones are cockerels, and the darker ones are pullets, but time will tell.
Here is a couple pictures...
woot.gif

Ok...here's where I think this hatch will end, 9 of the 10 eggs hatched, 1 chick that hatched had a unabsorbed yolk sack, unfortunately that chick
expired. 1 egg is still in the hatcher but it is day 23 today so it doesn't look promising for this egg.
We have 8 healthy looking Marraduna Basque in the brooder 2 days old now. We notice some of these are a lighter color & some are darker red, we are thinking the lighter ones are cockerels, and the darker ones are pullets, but time will tell.
Here is a couple pictures...
woot.gif

Awesome! Congrats!

not a terribly exciting photo, but here's my girl Eleanor, determinedly settled into her broody nest & ready to incubate... i'll be getting some eggs for her to sit on this weekend.
she's such a sweet girl! she comes off the nest briefly when i get home after work to let everyone out, & gobbles treats (black oil sunflower seeds, miner's lettuce leaves, etc) from my hand... want to make sure she stays as well-nourished as possible while doing the long sit!

A couple of you mentioned "FF". What exactly is that and what is it used for?

Also I received 3 eggs from another member on this site and they have been incubating. On day 18 I moved them to the hatcher and 2 candled with moving chicks inside. They didn't hatch as expected yesterday and never pipped. Now they aren't moving. I read about hard shells in this thread. Could they have died, unable to break out? Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated with my egg hatching experience.

Last edited:
A couple of you mentioned "FF". What exactly is that and what is it used for?

Also I received 3 eggs from another member on this site and they have been incubating. On day 18 I moved them to the hatcher and 2 candled with moving chicks inside. They didn't hatch as expected yesterday and never pipped. Now they aren't moving. I read about hard shells in this thread. Could they have died, unable to break out? Any suggestions? I am getting very frustrated with my egg hatching experience.

They are talking about fermented feed. There is information on it--search the forums.

If your temperature was too low, they may be late in hatching. Chicks have a thing called an egg tooth. It breaks the hardest of shells.

Back
Top Bottom