Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I'm watching and comparing, and I know Ron is, too.

You said similar in age, how old were they? When you say Her RIR, I'm assuming that your stock is bred true to standard. My Basques have a ways to go to meet the Spanish standard...

I did a taste test of hatchery Barred Rock cockerels against EO cockerels - the EO was much darker in the leg and thigh than the BR and had way more flavor.

The roos were all 14 months old. The heritage RIR was from hatching eggs that I got from EBay. They were ok at best. After doing much research on heritage breeds, I found that none of the old timers knew anything about the "George Ryan Line" that she sells. The color was dark and we had some good horn colored beaks, but the legs were too light but too many popped up with white in the tail, and several cockbirds (dispite being hand raised) turned mean and nasty. I sent them to the stew pot early on. This last fella was even tempered, and very large, but suffered a recent unknown injury. I have a great looking Underwood cockerel growing out to replace him.

My Marraduna flock are coming along right nicely. I hatch and grow out more than I should (my feed bill is stupid high). Selling my pullet culls are no problem, but the cockerels are a very hard sell. I'm keeping the largest, typiest, friendliest birds for myself. Love the broodies. I really want this to be a major trait in my flock. The variety of egg color that I'm seeing is all over the place. We get creamy to cherry brown. Big heavy eggs from the hens (average 62g) with the pullets starting at 44g and working the way up on the scale. I haven't done much weighing with a scale but use my hands to heft and feel whats under the feathers for body type. I wish I could figure out how to upload a video. I would post one of the big ol' flock out to range (they share a space with my GOS boar pig). Mostly they stay in that paddock but do find space to come under the fencing looking for greener space and my poor ornamental plantings! Seems all the chickens love to perch on the edge of a pot to scratch out whatever I have planted. Still love em' though.

The fastest growing bird that I have hatched was a black sex-link cockerel. I may hatch some more for processing purposes. But I have so many baby basques growing out that I may wait until the fall for this project.

Thanks to everyone who gave me hatching advise......Better results this week. In the past 24 hours I've hatched 4 of 5 EOM eggs, 2 of 2 BCM, 4 of 5 Bourbon Red turkey, with the last pipping, and 1 of 5 Blue Copper Marans which are not supposed to hatch until tomorrow. Oh and a Cortunix Quail egg is pipping. I'm so grateful for this forum and all of the helpful participants. This time last week I felt pretty discouraged. Now I'm watching the great zip race to see which comes out first, the Cortunix or the turkey?????

Thanks to everyone who gave me hatching advise......Better results this week. In the past 24 hours I've hatched 4 of 5 EOM eggs, 2 of 2 BCM, 4 of 5 Bourbon Red turkey, with the last pipping, and 1 of 5 Blue Copper Marans which are not supposed to hatch until tomorrow. Oh and a Cortunix Quail egg is pipping. I'm so grateful for this forum and all of the helpful participants. This time last week I felt pretty discouraged. Now I'm watching the great zip race to see which comes out first, the Cortunix or the turkey?????

It is a lot of fun!

Just put 26 Basque eggs in the incubator cant wait till the 25th. Fingers crossed. They are shipped eggs from Florida and Texas.

Just put 26 Basque eggs in the incubator cant wait till the 25th. Fingers crossed. They are shipped eggs from Florida and Texas.
fl.gif

Keep us updated on how they do!

Just put 26 Basque eggs in the incubator cant wait till the 25th.  Fingers crossed.  They are shipped eggs from Florida and Texas.

The Florida eggs came from my flock. Sweet! I had a buyer not pay so I set the eggs after more than a week. All are showing good development. This breed has proven (in my experience) to be VERY hatchable. Good luck and keep us posted (specially with those eggs marked MB)! And thanks again.

What a beautiful assortment, best of luck!

The roos were all 14 months old. The heritage RIR was from hatching eggs that I got from EBay. They were ok at best. After doing much research on heritage breeds, I found that none of the old timers knew anything about the "George Ryan Line" that she sells. The color was dark and we had some good horn colored beaks, but the legs were too light but too many popped up with white in the tail, and several cockbirds (dispite being hand raised) turned mean and nasty. I sent them to the stew pot early on. This last fella was even tempered, and very large, but suffered a recent unknown injury. I have a great looking Underwood cockerel growing out to replace him.

My Marraduna flock are coming along right nicely. I hatch and grow out more than I should (my feed bill is stupid high). Selling my pullet culls are no problem, but the cockerels are a very hard sell. I'm keeping the largest, typiest, friendliest birds for myself. Love the broodies. I really want this to be a major trait in my flock. The variety of egg color that I'm seeing is all over the place. We get creamy to cherry brown. Big heavy eggs from the hens (average 62g) with the pullets starting at 44g and working the way up on the scale. I haven't done much weighing with a scale but use my hands to heft and feel whats under the feathers for body type. I wish I could figure out how to upload a video. I would post one of the big ol' flock out to range (they share a space with my GOS boar pig). Mostly they stay in that paddock but do find space to come under the fencing looking for greener space and my poor ornamental plantings! Seems all the chickens love to perch on the edge of a pot to scratch out whatever I have planted. Still love em' though.

The fastest growing bird that I have hatched was a black sex-link cockerel. I may hatch some more for processing purposes. But I have so many baby basques growing out that I may wait until the fall for this project.

Good stuff! Thank you for the info. Yellow House Farm on here points out some excellent ways to get your feed bill down while improving your flock. 14 months is a long time to keep a rooster that's not slated for the breeding pen...

Good stuff! Thank you for the info.  Yellow House Farm on here points out some excellent ways to get your feed bill down while improving your flock. 14 months is a long time to keep a rooster that's not slated for the breeding pen...

I have taken steps to lower our feed bill. I buy in bulk at a local mill and get a good discount. I pay $0.22-lb. Biggest issue there is the trip is 90 miles round tip in a gas sucking big truck. I go once a month. Even with the fuel cost, the price is still lower by $3 for 50lbs. I have also switched the flock to mash vs. pellets. We add oyster shell and feed garden greens. All our animal poo is composted and turned into our growing plots. I would like to do fermented feed but don't really want to change out my feeding system (homemade from 5 gal. buckets and lids over a large planter dish) as it works so well.The RIR was a breeder but he was a mercy kill due to his injury. The White Orpington was a breeder that broke his toenail off fighting through the hardware cloth while another breed was free ranging. It had begun to heal up when he injured it again (doing the same thing) and was no longer covering his hens. The Marraduna was slated for replacement by a younger cockerel who I have been growing out for that purpose. I figured if I was going to fired up the production line for processing 2 roos, I might as well make it 3 roos. Simple as that.

We try really hard not to buy any meat from the grocery store. Last month we put 3 roosters, 1 pig and 1 emu on the processing block. We do it all ourselves. I don't like the idea of paying anyone to do what we are fully capable of doing on our own. My 7 year old has gotten adept at washing intestine that we salt pack for sausage casing. My husband has been collecting concrete block for building his dream smokehouse. We have make bacon and andouille in a small stack. Need something much larger for hams. Our grinder has seen hundreds of lbs pass through it. And lastly...our food vaccuum packer is priceless! I have a facebook page (recently added) where I post some of what we do here. I really need to add to it. https://www.facebook.com/CrackerHillMercantile

We live in a rural area and I am finding many folks that are doing the same as we are in working towards a self sustaining lifestyle. I think that the Marraduna Basque fits right into that lifestyle. I just would like to make them bigger!

Hi AS........you said you changed from pellets to mash. What is your thoughts on this? I did just the opposite because I thought my birds were, are, more efficient at picking up pellets rather than mash crumbles....!!!!?????? I totally love Fermented Feed. I get bigger and more eggs and my birds just look better and act healthier....but...IT IS ALOT OF DURN WORK. I have 12-15 pens of birds and it works my tail off JUST to feed regular feed! I need to cut down and swear I'm going to but..................!!..........Holler.............Mike PS......I have a "larger bird" project going with my EO's....but I'm thinking it is gonna be easy to get them above the proposed SOP...????

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom