Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Hi AS........you said you changed from pellets to mash.  What is your thoughts on this?  I did just the opposite because I thought my birds were, are, more efficient at picking up pellets rather than mash crumbles....!!!!??????  I totally love Fermented Feed.  I get bigger and more eggs and my birds just look better and act healthier....but...IT IS ALOT OF DURN WORK.  I have 12-15 pens of birds and it works my tail off JUST to feed regular feed!  I need to cut down and swear I'm going to but..................!!..........Holler.............Mike

Hi Mike,
Not sure why its worked this way for my flock. But the proof is in the empty feed sacks (fewer of them now) and the lack of spilled food on the coop floor. Its 20% protein too. Maybe that's the catch. I know what you mean about feeling wore out just feeding. I have cut down that workload considerably with the feed buckets. I now just fill them up when they are empty, which is once every two weeks. The watering is still a major task twice daily. I have supplies on hand for installing an auto watering system. My husbands spare time is limited at best so its a project on hold.

ApronStrings....Hey if you don't mind......PM me what you did and how wirh 5 gallon buckets for feeding. I can get blots of buckets, I am fixing to do a drip system with 5 gallon buckets.........Thanks Mike

Hey Guys! Nice to see everyone is still humming along with their EOs! We are just hatching our 7th generation here this year, though I am not hatching the hundreds that we hatched last year (focusing on school instead). I am glad to see so many new people interested in the breed, as well as MD for continuing to be so supportive and knowledgable about our wonderful birds. Each year of breeding the birds seem to bring opportunities as well as challenges. I have found as I go on, I have more broody Mamas (which I select for) as well as physical traits that I need to watch for. This year, it is comb shape. I have seen a number of birds with side sprigs, but am also trying to get to six points. The Spanish sop says 5-7, but I believe we agreed six should be ideal for the North American birds (forgive me, I will have to check). Regardless, my birds have remained vigorous a d for that I am so thankful! Aside from their wonderful personalities, second comes their hardy nature. I hope anyone reading this thread and on the fence about trying these guys will give them a shot. They are so worth it!

I will have day olds that I can ship out on Monday if anyone has an interest. I'm NPIP and all set up for shipping. I don't have heat packs though. Would like them to go in groups of 10 or more. Should have 25 or so total. PM me if you have an interest.

Originally Posted by GreenAcresChick

At what age will my Basques start laying eggs?

^ This ^

At what age will my Basques start laying eggs?
I agree... our started laying right around 22 weeks and are some of our most consistent layers. We are just into southern california and our birds lay a nice, large egg, many months of the year.

Quote:
Tomorrow I am picking up my Rooster Chema and he is going to start breeding with my pullets--I have 4. The chicks will be heading to a (real) free range Egg Farm to become the primary brown layers for his layers. He is going to also get some Crele Penes and Blue Egg Layers. This is a big switch for him--His others are all Hatchery and a lot of Golden Comets.

The great Free Ranging characteristics and egg laying of the Basque will be great to see in the fields and orchards around Winters CA. I am very excited about this project!

Back
Top Bottom