Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I finished my third EO Basque hatch this week. 15 hatched and I did not help any of them. There were not leg problems and all are very healthy.

Fertility was over 80% and of those 80% hatched.

Here are some of the under the ecoglow:

This is a video of one being helped during hatch. The memory card filled up on me so I missed the actual hatch:
bravo Ron!! they are so adorable!

Beautiful chicks Ron!

Mine weren't as helpful to one another, but as soon as one hatched the others all clustered around it, a little unnerving wondering if someone was going to get crushed but it all worked out.

Wishing you lots of ladies.

How do you tell 4 week old cockerels and pullets by coloring? I have some with dark coloring and no noticeable combs, is that consistent with this breed. Others are red/orange and little other coloring.

How do you tell 4 week old cockerels and pullets by coloring? I have some with dark coloring and no noticeable combs, is that consistent with this breed. Others are red/orange and little other coloring.

The Pullets start getting the pullet feathers. The Cockerels start getting the black and white barred tail and look more yellow than the brownish red of the pullets.

Bye 6 weeks you can tell by the combs and wattles usually.

pop.gif
Please post pictures! We love pictures here.

I was looking at the chicks yesterday, looking for colors. I made myself stop, since I should be looking at type first, not color. Too bad there isn't a set standard, but there are enough faults to select against. I'll be looking for input in a couple of months for sure.

I was looking at the chicks yesterday, looking for colors. I made myself stop, since I should be looking at type first, not color. Too bad there isn't a set standard, but there are enough faults to select against. I'll be looking for input in a couple of months for sure.

Yes, Type first. The colors can help figure out Gender though....

I was looking at the chicks yesterday, looking for colors.  I made myself stop, since I should be looking at type first, not color.  Too bad there isn't a set standard, but there are enough faults to select against.  I'll be looking for input in a couple of months for sure.

Same here. Some of my roosters are pretty tan colors, one is very light-colored, and another is dark, but I haven't thought about type at all. They are small, only 6 weeks, and I have 5 to choose from. I can't wait to see what they look like in another month or two.

I know I should probably wait to cull some of my extra cockerels but tonight is the night. I wanted to get some opinions before I do it. I have 4 basque 5 week old boys, 2 of which are taking the walk to the chopping block tonight. Here's some pics of them:
Orange band. He's very sweet to humans but not too nice to the flock. His number's up tonight:

Double blue band. He's mean to us and his flock. Definitely dominate. He's leaving us too.

Yellow band. Planning in keeping him.

No band. Plan on keeping him too. Does he have a 7 point comb like his father?

Let me know what you guys think. I want FRIENDLY chickens first and foremost, most type definitely is important. Any notes on them would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom