Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I hatched a basque roo over a swedish flower hen. The hen is mostly black with a little bit of brown and has white dots on her. She is crested. She follows me around like a puppy, and I really like her a lot. Hatching this egg was an experiment. I'd never hatched one of our own eggs. :)

Here she is after a bit of fermented feed. Her crop is full and her feet are smattered with the ff.

Here is a closer picture of it. It has a splash of white on it's head and eyeliner. It was hard to tell the difference between it and the cream legbars until it started turning this more grey/blue color.

And here is a pic of the back stripe. We can see both aspects of the basque and the swedish flower hen in this chick. So neat!

And here are the two basques that we hatched... This one is was the first to hatch and is a lighter color. It's got quite a bit of tail feathers already.

And this is the more yellow of the two. It hatched a full day after the first one.

My 6 Basque cockerels are almost 11 weeks old, and while they'll need to grow a bit more before I select my flock rooster, I'm wondering what I should be looking for. Two seem to have a little more girth than the others.

What is throwing me off, is while they are all somewhat friendly, one is very, very friendly and laid back. I can pat him or pick him up. He's very mellow and sweet, so of course I like him best. He is one of the heftier ones, but his feather coloring does not look very Basque at all, mostly white with some dark patches. His legs are yellowish and his comb is maroon, as opposed to red, which I'm not sure is normal. I wonder if such an easy-going bird will be a good flock protector.

I don't have many Basque (2 hens and 2 cocks) and now the 6 cockerels along with 2 pullets. None of them have been particularly friendly until this guy. Even my husband, who doesn't have much to do with the birds, came in the other day and said "those Basque roosters are really sweet", and later when I was in the pen, the friendly guy was standing on my foot, and DH said, "that's the one I like". So do I automatically choose this guy, or is it more important to look at his coloring, or tail angle, or some other standard?
I could try to post photos of my options at some point.

Does anyone else have a laid-back friendly rooster that turned out to be a good flock protector? He kind of reminds me of a kitten.
big_smile.png
they say select for type first. I think personality is an important type. a bad attitude is not something you want to pass on.

I managed to get a few photos of my 10 week old Basque cockerels with an eye toward comparing comb color.
#1 this guy is my second favorite in regards to friendliness, with typical red comb color:

#2 Super friendly guy with maroon comb:

close up of "normal" comb:

Close up of maroon comb:

Super friendly guy back shot. His feathering coloring is way off, although he is only one of two with yellowish legs.

Interestingly, the other mostly white with dark splotches cockerel also has a slightly maroonish comb, but not as exteme:

Do you think the maroon comb is within the range of normal, or do you think he might have some kind of lung problem? I haven't noticed any alarming issues with him, although he doesn't seem as feisty as some of the others. I do like the coloring of the other cockerel better, but he is definitely not as people-oriented as this maroon-comb guy.
A few of the cockerels have a lot of gray, like this other one with yellowish legs.

I appreciate any feedback!

It is very difficult to select birds out based on pictures, as without examining the birds from several angles and getting and idea of their size and heft you are really just guessing. I would say, though, that your favorite does not have the proper coloring, and regardless of the color does not have as nice a head/comb. If you want him for a backyard flock bird, he is fine. If you are considering breeding for type, you maybe should consider one of your other birds.

One of my basque roos was a real doll, sweet-natured and an excellent flock guard. He went lame and had to be dispatched. His hatch-mate,while not as social, is polite and friendly, also good with the ranging girls.

I have one that is 2 weeks old, from Megan:

Oh and 9 developing in the incubator....hatch is this weekend.

Last edited:

This is my little basque over swedish flower hen. I'm pretty sure he is a he. His comb just keeps getting bigger. I had kind of hoped he would have a crest like his mother, but I don't think he does. This was taken last week. He's just gotten more beautiful since this was taken.

Back
Top Bottom