Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I have 9 EO marraduna Basque egg in lockdown today--hatching this weekend.

I saw movement in most of them when I moved them to the hatcher so hopefully I will have a bunch hatch too!

Finally had a brief break in the rain on Saturday so I could take some pictures.

Golden Boy and two of the hens. They're looking pretty rough at this point and should have their first moult soon.

Golden Boy browsing the wildflowers for bugs.

And the oldest chick from this breeding group. She is around 13 weeks old.

I like golden boy.
My chicks are 13 weeks old also. I'll be choosing a new cockerel and I'm starting to become fond of this one now (standing):

He does not have yellow legs, but he is fairly good size and is somewhat friendly. I think I may give up on my very friendly maroon-comb guy that I posted earlier, just because he is fairly passive and off-type. I'm not making any final decisions for a while.

Good looking birds.........we need to find out Heidi's trick for those really yellow legs!!!! I have about got my birds picked out for my 'Nothing but yellow to yellow legs project'. Maybe by next spring I'll know the trick!!...............................Mike

Good looking birds.........we need to find out Heidi's trick for those really yellow legs!!!! I have about got my birds picked out for my 'Nothing but yellow to yellow legs project'. Maybe by next spring I'll know the trick!!...............................Mike

Give them feed with Marigold in it.

Last edited:
I have no tricks, but I'm pretty sure the chick that hatched today has yellow legs. Papa is white, but mom is yellow. I guess that proves he is caring a yellow gene.
Also got a EO/Orpington and EO/Ameracauna. 100% hatch under a Welsummer broody. I should change my name to "LoveThoseBroodies"

Last edited:
I'm not Heidi :) But I can tell you the trick is numbers and hard culling. Our Basques have a lot of issues from crossing with Pendescanas by the original Canadian importer: mille pattern, white legs, spurs on hens and double spurs on males and smuttiness on hens/black breasts on roos. I also culled for pure white though some folks like those. I started with with 18 eggs from Skyline and 6 chicks from Greenfire and culled hard. In the end I have one decent rooster (Golden Boy) and three "ideal" hens. I added the one dark reddish hen with white legs to improve body color. If you read the Spanish standard, the marraduna is supposed to be a barred red goria, which is basically like New Hamps. My first generation breeders are too "golden" (Blondies) but I'm working on it. I expect it will take several more years to get them where I think they should be.

Last edited:
I'm not Heidi :) But I can tell you the trick is numbers and hard culling. Our Basques have a lot of issues from crossing with Pendescanas by the original Canadian importer: mille pattern, white legs, spurs on hens and double spurs on males and smuttiness on hens/black breasts on roos. I also culled for pure white though some folks like those. I started with with 18 eggs from Skyline and 6 chicks from Greenfire and culled hard. In the end I have one decent rooster (Golden Boy) and three "ideal" hens. I added the one dark reddish hen with white legs to improve body color. If you read the Spanish standard, the marraduna is supposed to be a barred red goria, which is basically like New Hamps. My first generation breeders are too "golden" (Blondies) but I'm working on it. I expect it will take several more years to get them where I think they should be.
Good Job!

Check out these yellow legs on the Rooster:

When I left for work this morning I had One chick hatched, two zipping and all but two of nine eggs with a pip.

This is the flock they came from

smilies-3433.png

Back
Top Bottom