Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Ha ha ha - NO! I'm still paying for the sin of buying a Sportsman! LOL

I've been canning and freezing like crazy - just about have things under control. Now to disperse about 30 pullets... I've got some beautiful girls from your boy.

How can you tell Maggiesdad? I am guessing roo because he is more aggressive, but I don't see make tail feathers. He is more red in the face than the girl. As far as I know, he is pure basque , just white.

How can you tell Maggiesdad? I am guessing roo because he is more aggressive, but I don't see make tail feathers. He is more red in the face than the girl. As far as I know, he is pure basque , just white.

I can answer too!

wattles and red combs.

The legs are the wrong color as well as the shape--White legs and yellow legs are what you get with Basque hens. Not slate legs. I suppose some where in the gene pool there may have been a partridge Penedesenca that had slate in the legs but I have only seen white and yellow legs.

Are you sure that another rooster was not around the hens within four week of the eggs being laid? Was there a fence jumper? A breed with slate legs?

Well, I bought two basque eggs and hatched them. The color on both of them has been different than the first basques I have had, though the first father was taken by coyotes, so this was a new father.

I don't think there was any fence jumping as the basques are kept all in one breeding pen at this location. I am bummed, though.

I have had a hard time getting basques with yellow legs. I think my other current basque has light yellow legs but the yellow isn't as strong as on the cream legbars, that is for sure.

Thanks!

The black chick is a big boy. His feet are bigger than his broody mom's already and he has more cleavage than me.

lol.png

Back
Top Bottom