Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I agree that roo #1 is the best of the 3. Roos #2 & #3 appear to have white legs and beaks which are not preferred. The yellow beak and yellow legs are supposed to be dominant so that should overcome the white that a pullet may have. Pullet two (top right) is a mille fleur (MF) pattern while very attractive most are breeding away from this pattern since it is more common to find white legs with the MF pattern. As Ron indicated, the bottom pullet is the best one. You may try breeding roo #1 with all of the pullets and see how the chicks grow out. No matter what decision you reach, you will have a lot of work to improve the EOs pictured above.

With respect to biting, I have one roo that used to want to bite me whenever my hand came close to him even when he walked up to me. So getting tired of this behavior, I caught him and pinned him down on the ground with his neck outstretched, throat down and held him on the ground for several minutes. After a couple of treatments of this, he has maintained respect for me and not tried to bite me since.
I agree--breed the pullets to the #1 Rooster.

Good job with the aggressive boy! They are smart and hopefully he will stop now.

I agree that roo #1 is the best of the 3.  Roos #2 & #3 appear to have white legs and beaks which are not preferred.  The yellow beak and yellow legs are supposed to be dominant so that should overcome the white that a pullet may have.  Pullet two (top right) is a mille fleur (MF) pattern while very attractive most are breeding away from this pattern since it is more common to find white legs with the MF pattern.  As Ron indicated, the bottom pullet is the best one.  You may try breeding roo #1 with all of the pullets and see how the chicks grow out. No matter what decision you reach, you will have a lot of work to improve the EOs pictured above.

With respect to biting, I have one roo that used to want to bite me whenever my hand came close to him even when he walked up to me.  So getting tired of this behavior, I caught him and pinned him down on the ground with his neck outstretched, throat down and held him on the ground for several minutes.  After a couple of treatments of this, he has maintained respect for me and not tried to bite me since.
The pinning hasn't worked but I'll keep trying it. Since I've only got 3 MB pullets I'm thinking of adding a few colored egg layers to spread the attention of the room around. I'm hoping the chick from Megan200000 is a boy but to early to tell yet.

The pinning hasn't worked but I'll keep trying it. Since I've only got 3 MB pullets I'm thinking of adding a few colored egg layers to spread the attention of the room around. I'm hoping the chick from Megan200000 is a boy but to early to tell yet.
d_canon.gif

Do you have a picture of him(her)?

I agree that roo #1 is the best of the 3. Roos #2 & #3 appear to have white legs and beaks which are not preferred. The yellow beak and yellow legs are supposed to be dominant so that should overcome the white that a pullet may have. Pullet two (top right) is a mille fleur (MF) pattern while very attractive most are breeding away from this pattern since it is more common to find white legs with the MF pattern. As Ron indicated, the bottom pullet is the best one. You may try breeding roo #1 with all of the pullets and see how the chicks grow out. No matter what decision you reach, you will have a lot of work to improve the EOs pictured above.

With respect to biting, I have one roo that used to want to bite me whenever my hand came close to him even when he walked up to me. So getting tired of this behavior, I caught him and pinned him down on the ground with his neck outstretched, throat down and held him on the ground for several minutes. After a couple of treatments of this, he has maintained respect for me and not tried to bite me since.

Can you cite references? I thought yellow is recessive to white...
Glen

Can you cite references? I thought yellow is recessive to white...
Glen
Yellow is dominant to white.

THE INHERITANCE OF SHANK COLOR IN CHICKENS
C. W. KNOX
Bureau of Animal Industry, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D. C.
Received March 15,1935
http://www.genetics.org/content/20/6/529.full.pdf
----------------------------
Poultry Genetics For Small and Backyard Flocks: An Introduction

Small and Backyard Flocks October 12, 2012
http://www.extension.org/pages/6536...backyard-flocks:-an-introduction#.Ukb89MXD-00
---------------------------
Chickens / Genetics Mini-Series
GMS10: Skin and Shank Color

Posted on September 2, 2012 by Heather Nicholson Skin and Shank Color Genetics Mini-Series Article #10
http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/gms10-skin-and-shank-color/

Best Regards,
Karen
in western PA, USA

Last edited:
One of the important characteristics of Basques is their friendly, social temperament. Sorry but I would not keep any rooster that was aggressive, actually regardless of breed, and definitely regardless of color. I have seen a few stinkers and they went into the freezer. Most of my roosters have been real gentlemen.

One of the important characteristics of Basques is their friendly, social temperament. Sorry but I would not keep any rooster that was aggressive, actually regardless of breed, and definitely regardless of color. I have seen a few stinkers and they went into the freezer. Most of my roosters have been real gentlemen.
My roosters think my wedding ring looks very tasty and try to eat it.

I did have one that was aggressive last year. He was very tasty!

Back
Top Bottom