Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Thanks Ron. My girls are molting and the next gen is not yet laying. I am hoping to have eggs in Jan, and chicks in Feb if all goes as planned.
That is great news!

I am very happy that you are still breeding EO Basque and making them available to others.

Nah, I'm actually going to set up a breeding pen for him, he's the fastest growing thing I've seen yet. Maybe throw in a rw hen just to see what happens...
Yah!!!
hugs.gif

Yes,  from all the photos I have seen of the beed they all tend to have a pinched tails.  I have not found anything in the standard that talks specifically about the tail or back other than the slope and tail angle.  

The conformation of the Basque reminds me of a meat birds, but the Basque are surprisingly good layers.     Birds with pinched tails are typically not good layers, but that sure is not the case with the basque.  

The Basque have only been in the US for a short period of time and yes they need work.  Most have serious cosmetic faults including white legs and ear lobes.  The most obvious structural faults   are flat chests and pinched tails. I think the key to raising Basque for any serious breeder will be to hatch lots and lots of chicks and reserve only a limited number for breeding.

It is impossible to work on every fault at once so I assume different breeders will work on different faults.  This year I culled all birds with white legs or ear lobes.  I then grew out the remaining birds to 5 months and selected for nicest chests.  I may select for nice chests again next year and then start working on a broader back.  I think the key is to have 1-2 goals a year and not try to fix everything at once.  

Well I have to say I love reading your post on breeding. You are honest and a pleasure to work with and learn from. Sooooo looking forward to your girls laying again!!!!!

I have a trio of marraduna basques and they are by far the friendliest birds I have so far! The rooster did however attempt to attack once but after a thunk with the bucket I was carrying he hasn't tried it again and stays clear :) I'll try and get pictures tomorrow to post.

I do have a question for all of you: Are basques supposed to have yellow legs? Mine all have cream colored legs... I have read a couple sites that say they should be yellow but almost half of the pictures I see of these birds have cream colored....

I have a trio of marraduna basques and they are by far the friendliest birds I have so far! The rooster did however attempt to attack once but after a thunk with the bucket I was carrying he hasn't tried it again and stays clear :) I'll try and get pictures tomorrow to post.

I do have a question for all of you: Are basques supposed to have yellow legs? Mine all have cream colored legs... I have read a couple sites that say they should be yellow but almost half of the pictures I see of these birds have cream colored....

They are supposed to have yellow legs.

Breeders are working in getting shape up first and will work on leg color after the other faults are corrected.

Yes, they are supposed to be yellow. Here is a link the breed description. Hope it helps
http://skeffling.squidoo.com/euskal-oiloas-or-basque-hens-my-favourite-chicken-breed

2013 Basque Hen owner/breeder survey is now open  here.

Thanks maggiesdad for posting the link!

Anyone and everyone who owns or breeds Euskal oiloa (basque) chickens is invited to complete this online survey about the breed.

The survey is intended to allow better understanding of the North American Euskal oiloa (EO) population, the reasons that poultry enthusiasts are choosing this breed, and the expectations and aspirations of EO owners. The intent is to repeat this survey on an annual basis.

There are three parts. Part A is directed towards all EO owners. Part B is intended for those who breed EOs. And Part C is optional and requests some information about the person filling out the survey.

A summary of the survey findings can be emailed to participants upon request if the necessary portions of PART C of the survey are completed.

Thank you in advance to all those who fill it out. Please feel free to share the link with other EO owners via email or other means. Any questions or concerns I would be happy to try to address and if anyone has problems with the online version please contact me and I can send the survey using another format.

Yes, they are supposed to be yellow. Here is a link the breed description. Hope it helps
http://skeffling.squidoo.com/euskal-oiloas-or-basque-hens-my-favourite-chicken-breed

They are supposed to have yellow legs.

Breeders are working in getting shape up first and will work on leg color after the other faults are corrected.

So with the three I have is there any hope of getting the yellow legs in there somewhere, could the yellow be hiding in the gene pool and hopefully show up in chicks later on?

Back
Top Bottom