Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Yellow legs are easy to establish, but you will need to use birds with yellow legs to get there - either a rooster or hens, the brighter the yellow the better.

IMO size and type are much more important than leg color right now - there are obvious issues with undersized and not great type birds. End egg laying should be closely watched as it is easier to select things that are easy to see (such as leg color) and neglect production goals such as size, heft and egg production.

Thanks maggiesdad for posting the link!

Anyone and everyone who owns or breeds Euskal oiloa (basque) chickens is invited to complete this online survey about the breed.

The survey is intended to allow better understanding of the North American Euskal oiloa (EO) population, the reasons that poultry enthusiasts are choosing this breed, and the expectations and aspirations of EO owners. The intent is to repeat this survey on an annual basis.

There are three parts. Part A is directed towards all EO owners. Part B is intended for those who breed EOs. And Part C is optional and requests some information about the person filling out the survey.

A summary of the survey findings can be emailed to participants upon request if the necessary portions of PART C of the survey are completed.

Thank you in advance to all those who fill it out. Please feel free to share the link with other EO owners via email or other means. Any questions or concerns I would be happy to try to address and if anyone has problems with the online version please contact me and I can send the survey using another format.
Just took the survey. Thanks for posting it. I would like to thank everyone involved in working on getting the Basque into the SOP.

I filled out the survey yesterday.

I'm enjoying the activity on this thread.

With so few to work with I don't think I can be to picky. I'm hoping that I can get better tail width from Megan's boy, he has yellow legs and beak. My girls all have a little of the "Millie" white. I'll also be watching chests with anything I hatch out next year. It's a start anyway.

Our judge was pleased with the birds we took to fair this year but with no apa standard he could only rate the parts and pieces. The pair we entered in "open" won best non-standard.

So with the three I have is there any hope of getting the yellow legs in there somewhere, could the yellow be hiding in the gene pool and hopefully show up in chicks later on?

Actually the answer is YES there is hope of getting the yellow legs in chicks from your three white legged birds. Yellow is recessive so it can be hidden by the white. At most you can expect 25% of your chicks from this trio to have yellow legs if all your birds carry it.

If is also not a difficult trait to fix later on if necessary.

That is great news!

I am very happy that you are still breeding EO Basque and making them available to others.

Deann of "Just Struttin' , ME TOO!! I want some of those EOs when you have them to sell, eggs or chicks. btw you said you had narrowed your line down to only 7 breeds. What are those ,just in case you have something else I crave as well. So you are in the selling business, not just hobbiest like most of us? It is hard to differenciate (can't spell it) between the two since for example, with the loan of an incubator I am going to have 30 chicks to sell and give away suddenly (well, in 21 days.) Am I still a hobbiest? Oh, better be careful, Uncle Sam is watching and might get me for tax evasion on my chicken sales!!! Ha!

Just took the survey. Thanks for posting it. I would like to thank everyone involved in working on getting the Basque into the SOP.

I just wrote you about your EOs and then looked at your fotos. Do you still breed those other kinds pictured here? Wow, what incredibly beautiful colored feathers! All three, but I especially like the double laced blue barnvelder and the mille flore leghorn. I hope you still breed those. For next spring perhaps? :D

Hey poplar girl, good to see you over on this thread!!!
celebrate.gif

Deann of "Just Struttin' , ME TOO!! I want some of those EOs when you have them to sell, eggs or chicks. btw you said you had narrowed your line down to only 7 breeds. What are those ,just in case you have something else I crave as well. So you are in the selling business, not just hobbiest like most of us? It is hard to differenciate (can't spell it) between the two since for example, with the loan of an incubator I am going to have 30 chicks to sell and give away suddenly (well, in 21 days.) Am I still a hobbiest? Oh, better be careful, Uncle Sam is watching and might get me for tax evasion on my chicken sales!!! Ha!
I consider my chickens a hobby and not a business. I think one would have to have hundreds of chickens to make any money in this industry. I will be happy if and when my chickens are able to pay for themselves. I am a Realtor which is how I am able to support my chicken addiction. Yes, I did say addiction.
lol.png

The 7 breeds I kept are:
1) Crele Laced Polish.
2) Orpingtons
3) Cream Legbars
4) Basque
5) Bresse
6) Sulmtaler
7) Double Laced Blue Barnevelders.

I also kept a couple Crele Penedesenca hens to breed with my Cream Legbars to create auto-sexing green eggers, and I keep1 Olive Egger hen in with my DLBB rooster because they produce stunning laced green eggers.

I just wrote you about your EOs and then looked at your fotos. Do you still breed those other kinds pictured here? Wow, what incredibly beautiful colored feathers! All three, but I especially like the double laced blue barnvelder and the mille flore leghorn. I hope you still breed those. For next spring perhaps? :D
Yes, I still have the Double Laced Blue Barnies but am discontinuing the MFL. I will be offering eggs until the flock sells but I am not planning to hatch any more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom