Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

The rooster is gorrrrrgeous! but aren't they always?
Thanks! And yes the roo's are always good to look at
smile.png

Well, unfortunately my broody lost 4 chicks over a three day span (I think it's a cat that is hunting the chicks). She is now on lock down with her last remaining chick which I'm hoping is a pullet. Here "she" is:

Question for folks here.

I attended the Maryland Poultry Fanciers Club show in Frederick, MD on Saturday. It was an educational experience. I also watched the three APA judges making the rounds and examining and judging the the birds. From the quality of some of the stock that was there, I think some of my birds could really do well, e.g., blue wheaten ameraucana, wheaten & black ameraucanas.

My question involves possibly showing EOs at the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on on November 23. Since I have not shown before this will be an experience. Since the SOP for EOs is the Spanish version and they are not recognized as yet by US APA, would anyone have recommendations for showing EOs. I expect that they would be listed as a general Mediterranean breed and having a copy of the Spanish SOP available would also be recommended. Any thoughts? I am in the same boat for cream legbars since they are a UK breed and not recognized by US APA yet.

Question for folks here.

I attended the Maryland Poultry Fanciers Club show in Frederick, MD on Saturday. It was an educational experience. I also watched the three APA judges making the rounds and examining and judging the the birds. From the quality of some of the stock that was there, I think some of my birds could really do well, e.g., blue wheaten ameraucana, wheaten & black ameraucanas.

My question involves possibly showing EOs at the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on on November 23. Since I have not shown before this will be an experience. Since the SOP for EOs is the Spanish version and they are not recognized as yet by US APA, would anyone have recommendations for showing EOs. I expect that they would be listed as a general Mediterranean breed and having a copy of the Spanish SOP available would also be recommended. Any thoughts? I am in the same boat for cream legbars since they are a UK breed and not recognized by US APA yet.

Others know more about this and I could be completely wrong. The SOP has a large general section that applies to all chickens and that is applied. It is an open category and you can't win but the Breed gets credit for showing. After enough chickens from the breed have been shown than the work group can apply to the APA or ABA for adding the Breed with the standard that is voted on.

The above is general and simple. I know it is much harder to get a breed accepted.

Question for folks here.

I attended the Maryland Poultry Fanciers Club show in Frederick, MD on Saturday.  It was an educational experience.  I also watched the three APA judges making the rounds and examining and judging the the birds.  From the quality of some of the stock that was there, I think some of my birds could really do well, e.g., blue wheaten ameraucana, wheaten & black ameraucanas.

My question involves possibly showing EOs at the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on on November 23.  Since I have not shown before this will be an experience.  Since the SOP for EOs is the Spanish version and they are not recognized as yet by US APA, would anyone have recommendations for showing EOs.  I expect that they would be listed as a general Mediterranean breed and having a copy of the Spanish SOP available would also be recommended.  Any thoughts?   I am in the same boat for cream legbars since they are a UK breed and not recognized by US APA yet.

Several people have entered EOs in APA sanctioned shows the past couple years (mostly in Canada) and and I think exactly how things are handled has varied by show. That said almost everyone that i know of has provided a copy of the draft Euskal Oiloa (Basque) standard to the show organizers prior to the show so the judge can be give a copy. Each variety (we have gorria and marraduna translated to english) and the breed competes against itself and then can compete against other unrecognized breeds in the same class, generally Mediterranean, but can go no farther.

A draft of SOP for the breed including marraduna and gorria varieties translated from Spanish to english and formated according the the APA standard can be found on the EO forum or I can send you a copy via email if you contact me.

Others know more about this and I could be completely wrong. The SOP has a large general section that applies to all chickens and that is applied. It is an open category and you can't win but the Breed gets credit for showing. After enough chickens from the breed have been shown than the work group can apply to the APA or ABA for adding the Breed with the standard that is voted on.

The above is general and simple. I know it is much harder to get a breed accepted.
I understand the challenges of getting APA accepted. I am currently working with the Cream Legbar Club to accomplish APA acceptance. It is a long haul.

A few of this years youngsters... 28wks, all in lay.

Hey, you are over here too! Fueling my EO obsession while the baby sleeps and the dishes sit. They'll all keep =) Admiring your flock. Such consistent colors. How long did that take you? Are your hens still throwing the grey tones and you just culled them out?

Hey, you are over here too! Fueling my EO obsession while the baby sleeps and the dishes sit. They'll all keep =) Admiring your flock. Such consistent colors. How long did that take you? Are your hens still throwing the grey tones and you just culled them out?

If you ever want to get rid of some gray throwbacks or unwanteds, I would love to have them. Do you ever sell any? Can you tell at hatching yet which ones will be gray? I am wanting both cream legbars and EOs. THX beverly

Back
Top Bottom