Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Hey, you are over here too! Fueling my EO obsession while the baby sleeps and the dishes sit. They'll all keep =) Admiring your flock. Such consistent colors. How long did that take you? Are your hens still throwing the grey tones and you just culled them out?

I kept sixteen girls out of over 130 chicks (from two pens) ... and no more than 4 of these will make it to the breeder pens. This is year two from Skyline eggs in '11, those eggs threw very much like what photos he posted early in this thread.

If you ever want to get rid of some gray throwbacks or unwanteds, I would love to have them. Do you ever sell any? Can you tell at hatching yet which ones will be gray? I am wanting both cream legbars and EOs. THX beverly
You can usually tell by about 3 weeks which boys are too gray. I have not seen any gray girls

Last edited:
If you ever want to get rid of some gray throwbacks or unwanteds, I would love to have them. Do you ever sell any? Can you tell at hatching yet which ones will be gray? I am wanting both cream legbars and EOs. THX beverly
Beverly, Where are you located? I just bought our flock. Ten chicks! Sorry I can't answer your questions - hopefully someone near you can help out! Otherwise, you can find us on FB (No website yet). Cackleberry Farm in Modesto. We post what we have to sell that way. Unfortunately we don't have CLB's (YET, love the auto-sexing feature!).

I kept sixteen girls out of over 130 chicks (from two pens) ... and no more than 4 of these will make it to the breeder pens. This is year two from Skyline eggs in '11, those eggs threw very much like what photos he posted early in this thread.
That certainly puts it into perspective! Thank you! Is there a problem with the grey-er toned girls? Are breeders purposely breeding that out to create a color standard? I think the other color is pretty too.

That certainly puts it into perspective! Thank you! Is there a problem with the grey-er toned girls? Are breeders purposely breeding that out to create a color standard? I think the other color is pretty too.
There is a Spanish Breeding Standard that is being bred for.

There is a group working on getting a draft standard based on the Spanish Standard into the United States Standard.

There is a Spanish Breeding Standard that is being bred for.

There is a group working on getting a draft standard based on the Spanish Standard into the United States Standard.

The Spanish Standard calls for 5 types; Black, White, Red, Barred Red and Naked Neck. The Barred Red (Marraduna) that we are working with have some extra stuff in them, but the girls are great layers, people friendly and the boys taste great!

Last edited:
The Spanish Standard calls for 5 types; Black, White, Red, Barred Red and Naked Neck. The Barred Red (Marraduna) that we are working with have some extra stuff in them, but the girls are great layers, people friendly and the boys taste great!
thumbsup.gif
All very true!

I wanted to bring this survey to everyone's attention one more time.

So far 40 people have responded so thank you to all the EO owners who have taken the time!

Thanks maggiesdad for posting the link!

Anyone and everyone who owns or breeds Euskal oiloa (basque) chickens is invited to complete this online survey about the breed.

The survey is intended to allow better understanding of the North American Euskal oiloa (EO) population, the reasons that poultry enthusiasts are choosing this breed, and the expectations and aspirations of EO owners. The intent is to repeat this survey on an annual basis.

There are three parts. Part A is directed towards all EO owners. Part B is intended for those who breed EOs. And Part C is optional and requests some information about the person filling out the survey.

A summary of the survey findings can be emailed to participants upon request if the necessary portions of PART C of the survey are completed.

Thank you in advance to all those who fill it out. Please feel free to share the link with other EO owners via email or other means. Any questions or concerns I would be happy to try to address and if anyone has problems with the online version please contact me and I can send the survey using another format.

Back
Top Bottom