Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

HapplessRunner it is likely we will make some slight modifications to the EO SOP shortly after the survey responses are tallied. There is a question in the survey on the number of points on the comb to decide upon as for the APA a range (currently 5-7) is not acceptable. Also there is a question on eye color as brown in the APA standard refers to a chocolate brown which the EOs are not. Chestnut or another descriptor will likely replace Brown. As the SOP is used and vetted past more judges we may see the need for more changes so feedback on from shows is very welcome.

HapplessRunner it is likely we will make some slight modifications to the EO SOP shortly after the survey responses are tallied. There is a question in the survey on the number of points on the comb to decide upon as for the APA a range (currently 5-7) is not acceptable. Also there is a question on eye color as brown in the APA standard refers to a chocolate brown which the EOs are not. Chestnut or another descriptor will likely replace Brown. As the SOP is used and vetted past more judges we may see the need for more changes so feedback on from shows is very welcome.
I understand the range is not acceptable to APA. They require a specific number. We faced the same issue in cream legbars. The UK standard specifies from 5-7 points on the comb for the cream legbar as does the Spanish standard for the EO. The Cream Legbar Club settled on using 6 points as the specification. So if there are more or less then it should only be a minor deduction.

I do need to send an updated version of the SOP to the VPBA and have ready at the show. So if you have an updated version before November 23, please advise me at your earliest convenience. Many thanks in advance!

COLOR -- FEMALE

Comb, Face, Wattles, and Ear Lobes: Bright red.

Beak: Yellow.

Eyes: Brown.

Head: Golden-red.

Neck: Dark golden-red. Lower neck feathers with a black stripe, slightly and irregularly barred with white, extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck similar to breast.

Wings: Front and bows dark golden-red. Bar and secondary’s golden-red. Primaries golden-red with lower web of first few primary feathers black transitioning to golden-red. Primary coverts black edged with golden-red. When the wing is folded in the natural position only the golden-red color shows.

Back: Golden-red.

Tail: Main Tails— black edged with golden-red. Shaft golden-red.

Breast: Light golden-red.

Body and Fluff: Light golden-red with faint and indistinct white barring. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and light golden-red. Fluff ivory.

Legs and Toes: Lower thighs light golden-red. Shanks and toes yellow.

Under-Color of All Sections: Ivory..

I haven't been on here in awhile except to take the survey so I'm a bit confused by this description for the EO Marraduna hen. This sounds like the Gorria description. Why dark golden red? The SOP for New Hampshiires calls for medium chestnut red...are we going for something even darker? I'm on my third and fourth generations aiming for darker females and I'm still getting what I would describe as pale amber. Who has hens of a dark golden red that is not millefleur? I'd love to see an example of if that's what we're aiming for.

Here is a Spanish site with photos of the correct European EO colors: http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/marraduna-0

As for eye color, I would call it bay or reddish bay.

Hey Tru,

I got the info from the EO forum. Here is the link:

http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=558

Tony

Wow, so it is! And I must have read it at least a dozen times. Now that I'm working with New Hamps and RIR, I've become much more sensitive to shades of red. If an APA judge is also looking at NH as a medium red, then dark red is not going to work as a US descriptor for the EO.

PS I'll be at the VA show with two Mottled Houdan pullets...look me up!

I haven't been on here in awhile except to take the survey so I'm a bit confused by this description for the EO Marraduna hen.   This sounds like the Gorria description.    Why dark golden red?  The SOP for New Hampshiires calls for medium chestnut red...are we going for something even darker?  I'm on my third and fourth generations aiming for darker females and I'm still getting what I would describe as pale amber.  Who has hens of a dark golden red that is not millefleur?  I'd love to see an example of if that's what we're aiming for.

Here is a Spanish site with photos of the correct European EO colors:  http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/marraduna-0

As for eye color, I would call it bay or reddish bay.

Feedback on the draft SOP is absolutely welcome Laingcroft and I know sometimes a description looks okay and then, as we learn more, it becomes easier to recognize where there might be room for improvement. Your feedback using your knowlege of new hampshires is great!

The color we are aiming for would be that of the marraduna hen in the picture on the Eoalak site you provided a link to. The intent of the North American SOP is not to change the look of the EOs it's just to replicate the Spanish standard to english using APA formatting. So anywhere you see descriptions that would mean a deviation from the Spanish EOs it should be brought up.

With that in mind it would be really appreciated if as many people who are willing would review the draft EO SOP and provided comments. There is also one for gorria on the Euskal oiloa chicken forum (EOCF) that has not been transferred here as I'm not sure there are any gorria in the USA.

Ideally, if people are a member of EOCF or willing to become one, comments posted there on the SOP thread so we can have a record of the discussion would be appreciated. Alternatively if necessary i will copy discussions from here over so they are not lost. Since we will be making some changes to the SOP shortly anyway it would make sense to revisit everything at the same time.

Feedback on the draft SOP is absolutely welcome Laingcroft and I know sometimes a description looks okay and then, as we learn more, it becomes easier to recognize where there might be room for improvement. Your feedback using your knowlege of new hampshires is great!

The color we are aiming for would be that of the marraduna hen in the picture on the Eoalak site you provided a link to. The intent of the North American SOP is not to change the look of the EOs it's just to replicate the Spanish standard to english using APA formatting. So anywhere you see descriptions that would mean a deviation from the Spanish EOs it should be brought up.

With that in mind it would be really appreciated if as many people who are willing would review the draft EO SOP and provided comments. There is also one for gorria on the Euskal oiloa chicken forum (EOCF) that has not been transferred here as I'm not sure there are any gorria in the USA.

Ideally, if people are a member of EOCF or willing to become one, comments posted there on the SOP thread so we can have a record of the discussion would be appreciated. Alternatively if necessary i will copy discussions from here over so they are not lost. Since we will be making some changes to the SOP shortly anyway it would make sense to revisit everything at the same time.

I understand someone originally translated the Spanish standard, and it makes sense that the Marraduna color is the same as the Gorria with barring; however, with the cream gene (Ig) diluting the effect of red on top of the barring which also lightens the red, calling the EO hen's neck dark golden red doesn't work very well as a descriptor for what we're aiming for when the neck on the chickens pictured below (NH) are considered a medium chestnut red.

For those that do not have a copy of the APA SOP, buff is defined as "a medium shade of orange yellow color with a rich golden cast; not so intense as to show reddish cast, nor so pale as to appear lemon or light yellow."

I think deep, rich or reddish buff would be better descriptors. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
When my DW asks how many chickens do you have now? My response is "around 50". Currently at 57 but there is no point in inviting further "discussion" on "NO MORE CHICKENS!"
Laughing! My husband provides housing and is currently working his tail off for me. He likes the chickens too. PS. Getting me an incubator for my birthday. Do you think he knows what he's in for?

Back
Top Bottom