Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Laughing! My husband provides housing and is currently working his tail off for me. He likes the chickens too. PS. Getting me an incubator for my birthday. Do you think he knows what he's in for?
Oooo an incubator. Now that's a whole other addiction
jumpy.gif
no I don't think he knows what he's in for............
wink.png

I understand someone originally translated the Spanish standard, and it makes sense that the Marraduna color is the same as the Gorria with barring; however, with the cream gene (Ig) diluting the effect of red on top of the barring which also lightens the red, calling the EO hen's neck dark golden red doesn't work very well as a descriptor for what we're aiming for...

For those that do not have a copy of the APA SOP, buff is defined as "a medium shade of orange yellow color with a rich golden cast; not so intense as to show reddish cast, nor so pale as to appear lemon or light yellow."

I think deep, rich or reddish buff would be better descriptors.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree Laingcroft. Buff Catalana males are described as "buff", "reddish buff" and "golden buff" and females as "buff" and " golden buff" so perhaps thise would be better descriptors for the marraduna basques as well. Looks as though some changes to the draft SOP color descriptors are needed.

Regarding your comment on the cream gene (Ig) having a diluting effect on top of the barring in the marraduna, I have always understood the only difference between gorria and marraduna was the barring gene. I'm interested to understand why you believe there is also a cream gene in the marraduna? I have crossed my gorria and marraduna so have some of both as well as heterozygous barred roosters. I see a lot of color variation including some very blond to quite red marraduna and some orangy to quite dark red gorria so I am interested to learn more. Not sure at this point I can conclusively say I am (or am not) seeing the effect of a cream gene but i will be looking for that now for sure.

Regarding your comment on the cream gene (Ig) having a diluting effect on top of the barring in the marraduna, I have always understood the only difference between gorria and marraduna was the barring gene. I'm interested to understand why you believe there is also a cream gene in the marraduna? I have crossed my gorria and marraduna so have some of both as well as heterozygous barred roosters. I see a lot of color variation including some very blond to quite red marraduna and some orangy to quite dark red gorria so I am interested to learn more. Not sure at this point I can conclusively say I am (or am not) seeing the effect of a cream gene but i will be looking for that now for sure.

I wish I could remember where in this thread, or perhaps another EO thread it was. Niclandia and some others were discussing possible genotype for the EO. It would been sometime in mid-2012

Last edited:
I wish I could remember where in this thread, or perhaps another EO thread it was. Niclandia and some others were discussing possible genotype for the EO. It would been sometime in mid-2012
Personally, I think the gold based EO's are eWh locus based. Because, as I remember, there is no color balancing of a colored under fluff in order to get the right top color.
Best,
Karen

Personally, I think the gold based EO's are eWh locus based. Because, as I remember, there is no  color balancing of  a colored under fluff in order to get the right top color.
 Best,
 Karen

The marraduna and gorria are most definately eWh based, no question. That's published in the literature and you can see it in the color of the chick down as well.

I have a trio too, but I wish to have all five Belzak, Gorriak, Lepasoilak, Zilarrak and Marradunak (I have this one). I have friends in Spain but unfortunately they can't send me eggs :( and this/these breed(s) are in extinction.

http://elgansoycia.jimdo.com/gallinas-euskal-oiloa/
http://euskaloiloa.wordpress.com
http://www.granjaonline.es/web/euskal-oiloa-o-gallina-vasca-pais-vasco/
http://www.ibarrolabekoa.com/gallinas.shtml

Hay mucha información en esos sitios web. Suerte.

Y saludos.

Those web sites have a lot of info.

Good luck.

_____________________________________________________________________________________Pancho

Last edited:
The marraduna and gorria are most definately eWh based, no question. That's published in the literature and you can see it in the color of the chick down as well.

But there is something else going on too or we would have black breasted males. Hmm, maybe that is why some males are black breasted...they are missing the modifiers.

I think I had Di (dilution) mixed up with Ig (cream) from my legbar discussions. The EO could also have the Co (Columbian) gene which keeps that black restricted to the tail and hackles.

In any case, there is definitely some kind of dilution that is not the barring. For anyone who has access to Sigrid's color genetics book, look at page 141, the Rockbar (Red Barred Plymouth Rock). In no way do our Marraduna EO resemble "red barred" when compared to those pictures. Our EO look more like the "Buff or Yellow Tailed Cuckoo" on page 148.

(Wish I could post the pics here but it might be copyright violation.)

Last edited:
But there is something else going on too or we would have black breasted males. Hmm, maybe that is why some males are black breasted...they are missing the modifiers.

I think I had Di (dilution) mixed up with Ig (cream) from my legbar discussions. The EO could also have the Co (Columbian) gene which keeps that black restricted to the tail and hackles.

In any case, there is definitely some kind of dilution that is not the barring. For anyone who has access to Sigrid's color genetics book, look at page 141, the Rockbar (Red Barred Plymouth Rock). In no way do our Marraduna EO resemble "red barred" when compared to those pictures. Our EO look more like the "Buff or Yellow Tailed Cuckoo" on page 148.

(Wish I could post the pics here but it might be copyright violation.)
Yes Colombian! That explains a lot about them, including their behavior--respectful to the man but do not cross them....
lau.gif

(I have had some gang up on newly introduced pullets and scalp them)

Back
Top Bottom