Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Poplar Girl,

Any revisions to the SOP since some of these discussion have taken off. I will need to print another out before I head to the show on Friday. Thanks in advance!

Poplar Girl,

Any revisions to the SOP since some of these discussion have taken off.  I will need to print another out before I head to the show on Friday.  Thanks in advance!

I too am off to a show next Friday with 12 EOs and I would love to modify the SOP prior to going but I don't want make changes without providing the opportunity for group discussion. Survey results are still coming in as well.

I'll will put together a draft with suggested changes for discussion and see what kind of response I get HapplessRunner. At the very least we could then take a copy of the SOP with some proposed changes with us.

Last edited:
Referencing pg 190 of the Genetics of Chicken Colours book, under Golden brown is listed "Vasca" as eWh/eWh Co/Co (Mh/Mh). Vasca is another name for EOs so definately wheaten base with columbian. I am not clear on where the Mahogany (Mh) comes into play and it is listed in brackets by Sigrid indicating it may or may mot be present. I suspect it may be one of the reasons we see both light and dark red gorria and reddish vs buff marraduna. That said, I also suspect modifying alleles like Di (dilute) and maybe Cb (champagne blond) are also present in the population but I don't think that for proper color EOs should have these.

I'm hoping over time I'll get this figured out but it would be even better if someone can shed some light with certainty right away!

Last edited:
As for EO color genetics...over on the EO Forum we spent a whole winter discussing basic genetics and EO genetics (under Generics Forum in the index) in case anyone wants to take a look.

Referencing pg 190 of the Genetics of Chicken Colours book, under Golden brown is listed "Vasca" as eWh/eWh Co/Co (Mh/Mh). Vasca is another name for EOs so definately wheaten base with columbian. I am not clear on where the Mahogany (Mh) comes into play and it is listed in brackets by Sigrid indicating it may or may mot be present. I suspect it may be one of the reasons we see both light and dark red gorria and reddish vs buff marraduna. That said, I also suspect modifying alleles like Di (dilute) and maybe Cb (champagne blond) are also present in the population but I don't think that for proper color EOs should have these.

I'm hoping over time I'll get this figured out but it would be even better if someone can shed some light with certainty away!

There is no image for the Vasca, but the Mh would be a red enhancer that makes it dark red which may be the Gorria, but not the Marraduna. At least not based upon the phenotype we have here.

Well folks, I want to report some show results:

The Virginia Poultry Breeders Association was my first show ever. I showed the following poultry with the following results:

• Wheaten ameraucana cockerel – RV
  • Wheaten ameraucana pullet – BV
  • Blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel – BV
  • Black ameraucana pullet – RV
  • Black ameraucana cockerel – BB/BV
  • Cream legbar pullets – BB
  • Cream legbar cockerels – RV
  • Euskal oiloa (marraduna basque) – BB/BV

While I had the only cream legbars and euskal oiloa at the show, there was strong competition in the ameraucanas. So getting best in breed and best/reserve varieties in a very competitive class was a pleasant surprise. I had attended a show in Frederick, MD about 3-4 weeks ago and based on observations there, I felt that some of my birds might be competitive. But I never would have guessed that they would do this well. An exciting day for sure!

I was also able to talk with lots of folks about the cream legbars and EOs. There was a lot of interest in both. I also made a point of discussing the draft SOPs with the judge for both the cream legbars and EOs to gather comments and info to further establish the breeds and acceptance. I do have some comments for the draft SOP.

Last edited:
Well folks, I want to report some show results:

The Virginia Poultry Breeders Association was my first show ever. I showed the following poultry with the following results:

• Wheaten ameraucana cockerel – RV
  • Wheaten ameraucana pullet – BV
  • Blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel – BV
  • Black ameraucana pullet – RV
  • Black ameraucana cockerel – BB/BV
  • Cream legbar pullets – BB
  • Cream legbar cockerels – RV
  • Euskal oiloa (marraduna basque) – BB/BV

While I had the only cream legbars and euskal oiloa at the show, there was strong competition in the ameraucanas. So getting best in breed and best/reserve varieties in a very competitive class was a pleasant surprise. I had attended a show in Frederick, MD about 3-4 weeks ago and based on observations there, I felt that some of my birds might be competitive. But I never would have guessed that they would do this well. An exciting day for sure!

I was also able to talk with lots of folks about the cream legbars and EOs. There was a lot of interest in both. I also made a point of discussing the draft SOPs with the judge for both the cream legbars and EOs to gather comments and info to further establish the breeds and acceptance. I do have some comments for the draft SOP.

Great Job!

Congrats Tony!!
celebrate.gif

Will be interested in what the comments for the SOP draft are!!

But there is something else going on too or we would have black breasted males. Hmm, maybe that is why some males are black breasted...they are missing the modifiers.

I think I had Di (dilution) mixed up with Ig (cream) from my legbar discussions. The EO could also have the Co (Columbian) gene which keeps that black restricted to the tail and hackles.

In any case, there is definitely some kind of dilution that is not the barring. For anyone who has access to Sigrid's color genetics book, look at page 141, the Rockbar (Red Barred Plymouth Rock). In no way do our Marraduna EO resemble "red barred" when compared to those pictures. Our EO look more like the "Buff or Yellow Tailed Cuckoo" on page 148.

(Wish I could post the pics here but it might be copyright violation.)
To avoid copyright violation does not mean you must avoid posting pictures. It means you must give credit to author/photographer. Pictures and words are reproduced constantly in research situations, the person responsible is just given the proper credit. Pictures cannot be reproduced without that credit or used for resale purposes. I think if you posted pictures with the proper credits (ie APA format across the top of the picture) you'd be fine. Just an FYI. The book may be in some part online? I know Amazon has access to many books and you can see inside a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom