Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Referencing pg 190 of the Genetics of Chicken Colours book, under Golden brown is listed "Vasca" as eWh/eWh Co/Co (Mh/Mh). Vasca is another name for EOs so definately wheaten base with columbian. I am not clear on where the Mahogany (Mh) comes into play and it is listed in brackets by Sigrid indicating it may or may mot be present. I suspect it may be one of the reasons we see both light and dark red gorria and reddish vs buff marraduna. That said, I also suspect modifying alleles like Di (dilute) and maybe Cb (champagne blond) are also present in the population but I don't think that for proper color EOs should have these.

I'm hoping over time I'll get this figured out but it would be even better if someone can shed some light with certainty right away!
Decided I am completely in over my head. Didn't know I was going to need a doctorate in genetics!
hide.gif

Decided I am completely in over my head. Didn't know I was going to need a doctorate in genetics!
hide.gif
hugs.gif
It is OK!

You will do fine. Some of us just like more of that kind of thing. The great thing about chickens as opposed to other Animals is that a chicken is judged on how it looks, not it's pedigree. No papers have to be shown at a competition proving a blood line.

Decided I am completely in over my head.  Didn't know I was going to need a doctorate in genetics! :oops:   

ronott1 is completely right CackleJoy. Many good breeders, APA judges etc. don't know or care to know any genetics and they are better at breeding and selecting birds than I will ever be! For me it's a tool, it helps me understand more about what I'm seeing and why and sometimes helps me anticipate what to expect. The most important aspects of a bird however like type and vigour and production the genetics are beyond me and generally I think too complex to easily predict so not much help there anyway!

He was hatched in April by a friend of mine, he re-homed a bunch of extra cockerels from that hatch. Fortunately this lovely lady got him and decided NOT to put him in the freezer. This show was in September, so almost 6 months old.

He was hatched in April by a friend of mine, he re-homed a bunch of extra cockerels from that hatch. Fortunately this lovely lady got him and decided NOT to put him in the freezer. This show was in September, so almost 6 months old.
He is a nice size at 6 months. The breast will grown in nicely on him too.

Back
Top Bottom