Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Tony, love your EO Rooster
love.gif
Glad you got some good information from the judge!!!

Last edited:
In a PM reply to Poplar Girl, I noted an area for which the EO community can pull together to advance the goal for APA certification. That area is listed below.

With respect to EOs, the major element that I see missing when I compare the efforts with EOs versus the cream legbars is that I do not see a national/international club coordinating the efforts and providing a central focus for getting the APA approval. That is not to say that there are not many good people making extraordinary efforts because that is indeed not the case. There are many folks, including you who have made significant efforts toward this goal.

From what Paul Gilroy, APA judge, indicated in his conversation with me, the draft standard for EOs is in pretty good shape. I have no basis to know one way or another but the comment is appreciated. He had an additional comment on the cream legbar standard that was not made on the EO standard.

In working with the cream legbars, we have established a national club and have held discussions with Walt Leonard, APA judge in California. The club has provided a focal point for coordinated efforts to standardize the SOP, the breed in North America, and position us for the eventual APA application. We intend to encourage our members to show our chickens for both advertising and educating the judges while building our case for APA approval.

Since the EO community already spans the USA and Canada, I would recommend the founding of an international or north american euskal oiloa club to further build the community and breeder support analogous to what we are doing with the cream legbars. Since EOs have been in North America much longer than the cream legbars, the club should build some members relatively quickly. Likewise, the EO community already has a number of established breeders. The establishment of a club format also allows for distribution of work. Rather, than the burden falling so heavily on the few, it can more reasonably be apportioned to many in more manageable chunks.

Submitted respectfully for your consideration.

Tony well said and in lots of ways I can't disagree with any of your comments. I would like to think there are multiple ways to reach an end goal of APA recognition of a new breed but there is no question that traditionally a breed association has provided an effective method.

Thank you and let me think on what you've said...

Hi! I'm new to the EO world, but already realize the specialty of this breed and its wonderful characteristics. Here's what happened...was just looking for some more chickens to add to our flock and came across a breeding trio of EO. The poster said she had gotten and hatched them from greenfire farms. After a bit of research I said to DH, lets go pick these babies up! We have since fallen in love with the breed. Here are some pics of our roo and his 2 gals. Please, all opinions welcome. Now, we have also acquired 5 2-1/2 week old chicks (still unsexed). And now for the best news...we got our FIRST Egg On Thursday 11/28!! They are just about 6 months old. And today, we got our second egg. It's so exciting. I'm almost positive they are fertilized because I've seen the roo doing his thing. We don't have an incubator yet but we will soon! These pics are from when we first got them (1.5 months ago)and after looking I am realizing how much the roo has filled out so much already. His tail feathers are really coming in now and he's just so handsome. Friendly, will eat out of my hand yes protective of his girls. He needs a name too - suggestions welcome! The egg is the smaller one on the right.

Hi! I'm new to the EO world, but already realize the specialty of this breed and its wonderful characteristics. Here's what happened...was just looking for some more chickens to add to our flock and came across a breeding trio of EO. The poster said she had gotten and hatched them from greenfire farms. After a bit of research I said to DH, lets go pick these babies up! We have since fallen in love with the breed. Here are some pics of our roo and his 2 gals. Please, all opinions welcome. Now, we have also acquired 5 2-1/2 week old chicks (still unsexed). And now for the best news...we got our FIRST Egg On Thursday 11/28!! They are just about 6 months old. And today, we got our second egg. It's so exciting. I'm almost positive they are fertilized because I've seen the roo doing his thing. We don't have an incubator yet but we will soon! These pics are from when we first got them (1.5 months ago)and after looking I am realizing how much the roo has filled out so much already. His tail feathers are really coming in now and he's just so handsome. Friendly, will eat out of my hand yes protective of his girls. He needs a name too - suggestions welcome! The egg is the smaller one on the right.

Congratulations!

The Brown one is a Marraduna. The color of the others is not brown enough so they look like one of the other colors. The Marraduna is the color that the group is working to get into the American Poultry Association. There is a draft Standard several post back on this thread.

They are a Land race breed so color variation is normal. I hope the breeder you got them from did not have a Barred rock fence jumper though.

Hola, LoveOfChicken!

The darker brown vs the more blonde is just the way the genes express themselves. Both pullets are decent, I like the brown pullet more - but watch out for too much black showing up (especially if you use that cockerel). Try them both and track the chicks from each hen.

Aquí les dejo unas imágenes de mí Trio. :D
Here are some pictures of a Trio I have :D

Also I want to know Why one pullet is more brownish than the other???

Hola, LoveOfChicken!

The darker brown vs the more blonde is just the way the genes express themselves. Both pullets are decent, I like the brown pullet more - but watch out for too much black showing up (especially if you use that cockerel). Try them both and track the chicks from each hen.
I agree!

Look for a cockerel the has more color for the next generation.

That is a great start!

Aquí les dejo unas imágenes de mí Trio. :D
Here are some pictures of a Trio I have :D

Also I want to know Why one pullet is more brownish than the other???

Another point on your cockerel, from this picture, it appears that he has a white beak and white legs. If this is the case, it would be a disqualification.. However, breeding him to those two pullets should work since they have yellow legs and yellow beaks and most importantly, the yellow is dominant. Any chicks that you get from the pairing with white legs and beaks should be culled unless you are not too worried about that sort of thing.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom