Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

This is an EO pullet that is showing the mille fleur pattern. She also shows white legs and a white beak so she will not be good stock unless bred to a cockerel that has yellow legs,a yellow beak, and more appropriate color pattens. The yellow is dominant. I have a pullet with this color pattern as well as a cockerel.

I had intended to cull the cockerel but he just fought the dominant SFH rooster and won. It was quite a drawn out battle. I did not intervene because I expected it be a short skirmish but I guess he just decided that he had enough getting chased around. It was quite the battle. While his white legs, beak and some white sickle feathers in the tail are automatic disqualifiers, he is such a robust bird that I may use him to cross with my laying flock. I can always use some more meat on my layers and culled cockerels.
I had decided based on leg color that this was an 'off' EOB pullet. Thank you for the verification. Our SFH's all have lovely yellow legs and several of my straight run EOB chicks have legs with a greenish cast.

I'll be selling her. Out of 10 purchased I think I'll only be keeping 4. Oh well. Such friendly birds
big_smile.png

Good Question!

I have seen EOs that look a bit close to the pattern, but Mine have either hat white or yellow legs. I think you have something else there.
Those feet really bugged me too. This was a dark day, I think they have a greenish cast but not as green as shown in this photo.

This is an EO pullet that is showing the mille fleur pattern.  She also shows white legs and a white beak so she will not be good stock unless bred to a cockerel that has yellow legs,a yellow beak, and more appropriate color pattens.  The yellow is dominant.  I have a pullet with this color pattern as well as a cockerel.  

Actually white is dominant, yellow is recessive. And the mottling gene that causes the Mille fleur pattern is also recessive. The blue or green pigment in the legs is more difficult to get rid of than the white as it is recessive as well if I recall.

I would breed a an EO with white legs if she was very good otherwise, I will not breed one with blue/green in the legs.

CackleJoy I think it's best to do what you've decided to do and sell these little ladies. Your young cockerel looks very nice for color.

Actually white is dominant, yellow is recessive. And the mottling gene that causes the Mille fleur pattern is also recessive. The blue or green pigment in the legs is more difficult to get rid of than the white as it is recessive as well if I recall.

I would breed a an EO with white legs if she was very good otherwise, I will not breed one with blue/green in the legs.

CackleJoy I think it's best to do what you've decided to do and sell these little ladies. Your young cockerel looks very nice for color.

I guess that I am confused now. Many folks on here have indicated that yellow is dominant over white. Can anyone else help clarify this?

Thank you! I think I need to start writing this stuff down and filing it. The cockerel is my best for barring so I'm hoping that floppy comb isn't a consistent issue with his offspring!

I guess that I am confused now.  Many folks on here have indicated that yellow is dominant over white.  Can anyone else help clarify this?

Skin Color
w Yellow skin color. Recessive.
W+ Dominant wild-type gene. Autosomal white skin gene. Prevents the transfer of xanthophyll into the skin, beak and shanks but does not effect the eye iris, egg yolk or blood serum. This gene is considered to be the wild-type because it is present in the Jungle Fowl.
http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page3.html

I guess that I am confused now. Many folks on here have indicated that yellow is dominant over white. Can anyone else help clarify this?
Yellow is what we want for our EOs (SOP), but white is dominate over yellow, genetically. there is some good info here about how the genetics of shank color works.

edited to clarify from SOP and genetics.

Last edited:
Skin Color
W+ Dominant wild-type gene. Autosomal white skin gene. Prevents the transfer of xanthophyll into the skin, beak and shanks but does not effect the eye iris, egg yolk or blood serum. This gene is considered to be the wild-type because it is present in the Jungle Fowl.

Last edited:

Skin Color

Yellow is dominant to white.

THE INHERITANCE OF SHANK COLOR IN CHICKENS
C. W. KNOX
Bureau of Animal Industry, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D. C.
Received March 15,1935
http://www.genetics.org/content/20/6/529.full.pdf
----------------------------
Poultry Genetics For Small and Backyard Flocks: An Introduction

Small and Backyard Flocks October 12, 2012
http://www.extension.org/pages/6536...backyard-flocks:-an-introduction#.Ukb89MXD-00
---------------------------
Chickens / Genetics Mini-Series
GMS10: Skin and Shank Color

Posted on September 2, 2012 by Heather Nicholson Skin and Shank Color Genetics Mini-Series Article #10
http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/gms10-skin-and-shank-color/

Best Regards,
Karen
in western PA, USA

Ok so the funny thing is, I totally thought yellow was dominant to white because of the post above with several references, but she's using a reference (GMS 10) that y'all are citing too to say that white is dominant. So I looked over the first study listed and found this lovely summation in the conclusion:

"The genes WW, Ww, or ww are presumably present in all breeds and
varieties of chickens, although evidence of their presence in the shanks is
often masked by the deposition of melanic pigment in the shanks.

There is a single autosomal gene difference between white shank color
(the absence of lipochrome pigment, WW) and yellow shank color (the
presence of lipochrome color, ww) the former being dominant to the latter."

YAY I am no longer confused. White is dominant. Other pigments can overlay both white and yellow. (Which is exactly what is says in GMS10, but I don't believe some random internet article unless it presents information done in a properly controlled scientific study that has undergone peer review).

@ IdahoSpring in regards to your trio. What can I say they are EO's and they are lovely even if not the "correct" feather/leg colour, just look at the grey girls face so EO :love . As Maggiesdad has said the marraduna is the hardest colour to get right. I have been breeding EO's for 4 years now and I am closer to getting them right than when I first started out, lots of hatching and lots of culling. This is just my opinion so take it for whatever it's worth (maybe not much, lol) I think you will have a lot of culls if you breed the rooster to the grey hen, if you breed him to the lighter hen you may get some decent offspring but he has a lot of grey in his chest, they are to be gold. He also has white legs and beak as well as the grey hen, they should be yellow. Now that said I have a yellow legged rooster and have him over some hens with white legs but I have gotten mostly all yellow legs this year. Leg/beak colour and combs are the easier to correct but feather colour, that's the hard one!!! Your second hen has potential paired with the right rooster. I agree with MD if you could get a few birds from a started breeding flock you would be farther ahead.
This is one of my cockerels, see the difference in chest /feather colour.

Thank you for the info! Been doing more research and yes I think the grey gal will be pulled from breeding, and probably the cockerel too. He sure is handsome but those white legs are a turn off lol. (We aren't doing any "breeding" yet, just enjoying them and getting to know the breed, have much to learn still) We have 5-6.5 week old chicks and I can say with 98% confidence I believe we have 3 males and 2 females. One female is very marraduna while the other has more grey. 2 of the males have yellow legs and one has the white. Color and size of the comb are how I am sexing in this case. Here are the 2 ladies:

And the boys (I didn't take a pic of the one with white legs):

If one of these cockerels has acceptable leg/beak/feather coloring, paired with my older marraduna pullet and/or the marraduna chick we have here, we could be getting on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom