Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Where are you located? I have some lovely sexable chicks.

I tried several lines before getting the cockerel I have now. Amazing difference in consistent quality.

First purchased 15 chicks of varying ages from a lady whose stock was several generations removed from the original GFF line. I specify the "several generations removed" because so often we hear where the original breeding stock comes from but don't know anything about breeder integrity. Also, that person may have just started hatching eggs and may not know how they will grow out. So knowing the original line of breeding stock is information to be taken with a grain of salt. Quality could be better - or worse - depending on efforts at improving. Anyway, of those 15 there were 6 Mille Fluer patterned birds. That means a lot of culling had to be done with every generation - perhaps the people before were not culling as they should have been. Personally, I find the MF very pretty and I would keep them in my egg layer flock.

Second, I found a (better coloration than GFF) cockerel from someone who had Skyline birds. She had also been faithful at improving the breed.

That cockerel died of heart failure while the pullets were young but I was able to hatch out a few chicks anyway.

Third, I was lucky enough to obtaine a cockerel from Megan's line (means he is a direct descendant of fresh imports from Spain). This means that my breeding stock is completely unrelated
big_smile.png
The chicks off this guy make me so happy!

I've hatched and grown out (to 10 weeks+) over 50 chicks. Not a single MF pattern in the bunch. Almost cookie-cutter quality. Absolutely amazing! I can't believe the difference in the chicks. The new cockerel is obviously making a significant improvement to the gene pool. The only fault I'm finding is the occasional split chest. Combs are good, legs are good, color is good. Girls are about 2 shades darker than the light ginger color of the GFF line. I'm interested in how they grow out to see if the tail set is wider on the hens.

The GFFxSkyline line is also light ginger in color. The cockerel is very yellow still. I'm keeping him to watch.

My only disappointment is that there is no MF to ad to the breeding pen
wink.png

There is a local show in January. I plan to take a pair for judging.
wee.gif
This post makes me so happy!

wee.gif
This post makes me so happy!
Me too Ron :) I just can't believe the difference! My camera is on the fritz and I'm borrowing my Grandmothers. It is too slow to focus on the Basque chicks and Juvies -- They are SOOOO fast! I have to mail off my camera
fl.gif
fingers crossed it comes back to me! Makes me nervous. Anyway, when I get it back I will post photos.

Edited to fix typos. Some days I just shouldn't type :)

Last edited:
Where are you located?  I have some lovely sexable chicks.  

I tried several lines before getting the cockerel I have now.  Amazing difference in consistent quality.

First purchased 15 chicks of varying ages from a lady whose stock was several generations removed from the original GFF line.  I specify the "several generations removed" because so often we hear where the original breeding stock comes from but don't know anything about breeder integrity.  Also, that person may have just started hatching eggs and may not know how they will grow out.  So knowing the original line of breeding stock is information to be taken with a grain of salt.  Quality could be better - or worse - depending on efforts at improving.  Anyway, of those 15 there were 6 Mille Fluer patterned birds.  That means a lot of culling had to be done with every generation - perhaps the people before were not culling as they should have been.  Personally, I find the MF very pretty and I would keep them in my egg layer flock.

Second, I found a (better coloration than GFF) cockerel from someone who had Skyline birds.  She had also been faithful at improving the breed.  

That cockerel died of heart failure while the pullets were young but I was able to hatch out a few chicks anyway.

Third, I was lucky enough to obtaine a cockerel from Megan's line (means he is a direct descendant of fresh imports from Spain).  This means that my breeding stock is completely unrelated :D  The chicks off this guy make me so happy!

I've hatched and grown out (to 10 weeks+) over 50 chicks.  Not a single MF pattern in the bunch.  Almost cookie-cutter quality.  Absolutely amazing!  I can't believe the difference in the chicks.  The new cockerel is obviously making a significant improvement to the gene pool.  The only fault I'm finding is the occasional split chest.  Combs are good, legs are good, color is good.  Girls are about 2 shades darker than the light ginger color of the GFF line.  I'm interested in how they grow out to see if the tail set is wider on the hens.

The GFFxSkyline line is also light ginger in color.  The cockerel is very yellow still.  I'm keeping him to watch.

My only disappointment is that there is no MF to ad to the breeding pen ;)

There is a local show in January.  I plan to take a pair for judging.  

I'm in ny. I like the milli fleur pattern and the light ginger colored ones. I was hoping to get ones of that color but I did want to breed them for local sale. Do you have pics of your birds? I'm glad to hear of your progress with your birds and am defiantly looking for new blood if I do breed them.

Hello everyone!

I wanted to post some photos of my Basque chicks that are getting big and in with some other breeds in the grow out stall in my horse barn. Still waiting for their run to be built on their coop so I can move them to permanent digs. Can you all let me know what you think of them? I don't offend easily and I would like to know as to their color, and if you think that I am correct in saying I only have the one cockerel. I got some very helpful information about the "lady grey" and wonder how the quality of the coloring seems to be on the other 4. Have at it Basque peeps!

Thank you!
MB

Last edited:
Where are you located? I have some lovely sexable chicks.

I tried several lines before getting the cockerel I have now. Amazing difference in consistent quality.

First purchased 15 chicks of varying ages from a lady whose stock was several generations removed from the original GFF line. I specify the "several generations removed" because so often we hear where the original breeding stock comes from but don't know anything about breeder integrity. Also, that person may have just started hatching eggs and may not know how they will grow out. So knowing the original line of breeding stock is information to be taken with a grain of salt. Quality could be better - or worse - depending on efforts at improving. Anyway, of those 15 there were 6 Mille Fluer patterned birds. That means a lot of culling had to be done with every generation - perhaps the people before were not culling as they should have been. Personally, I find the MF very pretty and I would keep them in my egg layer flock.

Second, I found a (better coloration than GFF) cockerel from someone who had Skyline birds. She had also been faithful at improving the breed.

Third, I was lucky enough to obtaine a cockerel from Megan's line (means he is a direct descendant of fresh imports from Spain). This means that my breeding stock is completely unrelated
big_smile.png
The chicks off this guy make me so happy!

I've hatched and grown out (to 10 weeks+) over 50 chicks. Not a single MF pattern in the bunch. Almost cookie-cutter quality. Absolutely amazing! I can't believe the difference in the chicks. The new cockerel is obviously making a significant improvement to the gene pool. The only fault I'm finding is the occasional split chest. Combs are good, legs are good, color is good. Girls are about 2 shades darker than the light ginger color of the GFF line. I'm interested in how they grow out to see if the tail set is wider on the hens.

The GFFxSkyline line is also light ginger in color. The cockerel is very yellow still. I'm keeping him to watch.

My only disappointment is that there is no MF to ad to the breeding pen
wink.png

There is a local show in January. I plan to take a pair for judging.

I notice in your signature that you raise Swedish Flower Hens also. I have some in the incubator right now and wondered how the disposition is on them compared to the friendliness of the Basque.? Sent you a PM
big_smile.png

I notice in your signature that you raise Swedish Flower Hens also. I have some in the incubator right now and wondered how the disposition is on them compared to the friendliness of the Basque.? Sent you a PM
big_smile.png

I am new to both breeds, and have hatched out 8 Swedish Flower Hens so far. So funny how a lot of peeps who have the SFH I notice also have Basques and Isbar. I am only 14 weeks into owning the Swedish Flower hens, and my Basques are 8 weeks old. My Swedes have been very curious from the start, and until very recently have flown into my lap. I have 2 cockerels and have started not trying to be all warm and fuzzy with them, but do still pick them up so as they get used to that. My Basque chicks are still quite leery of me but I have noticed this week they have started to be more curious of me and come around to my feet when I sit in their grow out stall.

MB

Hello everyone!

I wanted to post some photos of my Basque chicks that are getting big and in with some other breeds in the grow out stall in my horse barn. Still waiting for their run to be built on their coop so I can move them to permanent digs. Can you all let me know what you think of them? I don't offend easily and I would like to know as to their color, and if you think that I am correct in saying I only have the one cockerel. I got some very helpful information about the "lady grey" and wonder how the quality of the coloring seems to be on the other 4. Have at it Basque peeps!

Thank you!
MB

Where did you get your chicks from? I love their coloring. But I have none myself.

Back
Top Bottom