Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

If you could get some side shots of them, we could help you figure it out. But from that photo I only see one possible roo. The grey barred with lighter wings.
I will get better shots of them tomorrow... sigh..... thanks!

Yup - need more pics!
smile.png
6:00 bird is definitely male. 9:00 bird looks like a male MF. Whole lotta black in the cape and looks like a comb coming on.

4:00 bird is a girl... need a better view of the other two.
Maggiesdad.. Thank you, I think you are correct. One of the other two is the bird I posted a while back, and you told me she was a "Lady Grey" I think. I think she is def a girl. But the last one I fear is a boy. He has that barred tail that is quite obvious, and from all the pictures in the gallery, I don't see any girls with that definite barred tail. Double sigh.....So.. at best I have the two girls. May I also ask what the consensus is about the MF coloring with the EO Basque, is it an undesirable trait? Not correct to the standard? Thank you for any information, and your opinions. It is appreciated! I will get better pictures of them tomorrow.

These are the same birds right Melabella?
Yes, all my pictures are of these 5 birds. I had someone early on tell me that only the light barred bird was a boy, and the other 4 were pullets, but after reading, and trying to educate myself.. I was thinking today... umm... I don't think so! Thanks everyone!

MB

SNIP
... May I also ask what the consensus is about the MF coloring with the EO Basque, is it an undesirable trait? Not correct to the standard? Thank you for any information, and your opinions. It is appreciated! I will get better pictures of them tomorrow...

MB

The Spanish Standard has 5 types of Euskal Oiloa - Black, White, Red, Barred Red, and naked neck. They don't recognize Mille Fleur.

The Basque Hen isn't recognized by the APA, but there are breeders in the US and in Canada that are working to translate the standard, with an eye towards recognition in the APA. It will take years of work and dedicated breeders.

The Spanish Standard has 5 types of Euskal Oiloa - Black, White, Red, Barred Red, and naked neck. They don't recognize Mille Fleur.

The Basque Hen isn't recognized by the APA, but there are breeders in the US and in Canada that are working to translate the standard, with an eye towards recognition in the APA. It will take years of work and dedicated breeders. 

This I understand, but was wondering if experienced breeders like you and the others here that have breeding for a while approve if the Mille Fluer coloring or is it considered something to stay away from?

MB

I personally think the Mille Fleur coloring is very pretty, but I am not breeding those that I get out of my hatches. If I had more space, I might consider trying to breed them as a separate project, though, and maybe someday they could be a recognized color.

This I understand, but was wondering if experienced breeders like you and the others here that have breeding for a while approve if the Mille Fluer coloring or is it considered something to stay away from?

MB

Hmmm - careful on grouping me in with the "experienced breeders"!
wink.png
I still haven't convinced myself that I'm anything more than a propagator.

That said, feather colors and patterns are just that - and what makes a Basque a Basque is what's 'under the hood' , their excellent laying abilities, the flavor and size they bring to the table, their people friendly personalities.

Some of the folks north of the border also work with Gorria (the red variety), but from the APA standpoint the question would be how is this red bird different or better than a New Hampshire? So if there is hope of the Basque being recognized here, it would have to be the Marraduna variety. But Gorria Basques hold keys to keeping the Marraduna on track, and avoiding one painting oneself into a genetic corner.

Now to the Mille Fleur... I personally am working toward marraduna, but I get many MF types and pullets with leg colors that don't suit me. If my henhouse is full, these girls go to nearby chicken swaps. After a year and a half of that, all my extras are spoken for by repeat customers, and I don't
have to put my birds through the ordeal and exposure of a swap. And the MFs are favorites. Go figure!

For me - it's have fun, enjoy my birds, eat everything I wouldn't be proud to have in my henhouse. So far it's working.
smile.png

Hmmm - careful on grouping me in with the "experienced breeders"!
wink.png
I still haven't convinced myself that I'm anything more than a propagator.

That said, feather colors and patterns are just that - and what makes a Basque a Basque is what's 'under the hood' , their excellent laying abilities, the flavor and size they bring to the table, their people friendly personalities.

Some of the folks north of the border also work with Gorria (the red variety), but from the APA standpoint the question would be how is this red bird different or better than a New Hampshire? So if there is hope of the Basque being recognized here, it would have to be the Marraduna variety. But Gorria Basques hold keys to keeping the Marraduna on track, and avoiding one painting oneself into a genetic corner.

Now to the Mille Fleur... I personally am working toward marraduna, but I get many MF types and pullets with leg colors that don't suit me. If my henhouse is full, these girls go to nearby chicken swaps. After a year and a half of that, all my extras are spoken for by repeat customers, and I don't
have to put my birds through the ordeal and exposure of a swap. And the MFs are favorites. Go figure!

For me - it's have fun, enjoy my birds, eat everything I wouldn't be proud to have in my henhouse. So far it's working.
smile.png
Couldn't agree more, as I am just entering neophyte chicken ownership with a focus past my first flock of generic hatchery layers. Two of the breeds that truly appealed to me are the SFH, and these EO Marraduna. I am a sucker for the barring on anything, and upon seeing some beautiful roos in a homesteaders blog, I learned about the breed. I am seeing if I want to get to a point of traditional Marraduna types, then there wouldn't be room for these MF girls, or boys for that matter? Off today to get better pictures of my little group of 5 Basques so you all can weigh in on sex for me, and preparing for the winter is looming large. Starting to see lots of roos around here that may need fast homes. Thank you for the information. Glad to hear that they make for good eating as well, another thing I liked.

Enjoy the what's left of the weekend,
MB

Alright guys, I got this lady(?) from a disorganized breeder, and she's supposed to be a Basque. What do you all think? She's starting to get some grey/lavender shoulder feathers coming in. Also, what in the world is going on with her wing feathers???

Last edited:
Alright guys, I got this lady(?) from a disorganized breeder, and she's supposed to be a Basque. What do you all think? She's starting to get some grey/lavender shoulder feathers coming in. Also, what in the world is going on with her wing feathers???

The chick looks at least part basque. Likely crossed with something though.

Back
Top Bottom