Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Congratulations on your new flock. Very pretty birds. A pullet that I purchased this summer had willow, "greenish" legs and now has beautiful yellow legs. This may not be unusual in the Basque world, but I was certainly surprised when I noticed the legs changing color. I agree about their temperament, not afraid of us humans, but mine will only allow touching if they fly up on my lap or shoulder. Great foragers, too. Mine free range 90% of the time. Very happy birds, so far.

Congratulations on your new flock. Very pretty birds. A pullet that I purchased this summer had willow, "greenish" legs and now has beautiful yellow legs. This may not be unusual in the Basque world, but I was certainly surprised when I noticed the legs changing color. I agree about their temperament, not afraid of us humans, but mine will only allow touching if they fly up on my lap or shoulder. Great foragers, too. Mine free range 90% of the time. Very happy birds, so far.
The new heritage delawares will do that but the legs are not as dark blue as these.

It is likely left over from an out cross to Partridge Penedesenca.

I have been lurking on this thread for quite a while, though I have not had time to read all 400 pages. I am fascinated by what I've read about these birds.

I saw at least one report that they handle heat well...could anyone else share their experiences?

Are there any breeders in Texas?

I have been lurking on this thread for quite a while, though I have not had time to read all 400 pages. I am fascinated by what I've read about these birds.

I saw at least one report that they handle heat well...could anyone else share their experiences?

Are there any breeders in Texas?
Yes, they handle heat well. We get up to 110 regularly in the summer here and they do fine with shade and water.

The new heritage delawares will do that but the legs are not as dark blue as these.

It is likely left over from an out cross to Partridge Penedesenca.
That's exactly where they get those blue legs from!! LOL I had Partridge Pennies and they look exactly the same.

@ Henthused I have also had the greenish legs before and most turn yellow as they mature. Figure if I breed them to a yellowed legged roo I should be able to breed it out???

Yes, they handle heat well. We get up to 110 regularly in the summer here and they do fine with shade and water.
ep.gif
Ok, that's it. I think I need some! LOL.

And I am intrigued by the tales of their friendliness. My practical, logical, sane (unlike meAHEMCOUGH) husband will probably look at me funny, but...I would so love friendly chickens. At least easy to work with.

Does their friendliness/sociability make them less avoidant of predators? I.e., I always hear about how flighty (Leghorn-ish) chickens are less apt to be gotten than slower, easygoing ones. I was just curious.

ep.gif
Ok, that's it. I think I need some! LOL.

And I am intrigued by the tales of their friendliness. My practical, logical, sane (unlike meAHEMCOUGH) husband will probably look at me funny, but...I would so love friendly chickens. At least easy to work with.

Does their friendliness/sociability make them less avoidant of predators? I.e., I always hear about how flighty (Leghorn-ish) chickens are less apt to be gotten than slower, easygoing ones. I was just curious.
They come from a land race breed so they have a history of being outside. They are a good color to avoid predators--white is a bad color. They are good foragers and the males will defend themselves. They are also big enough that hawks will think twice about going after them.

They are very easy to work with. I have some that are not easy to work with--penedesencas are not as flighty as leghorns but they really do not like people. They have never attacked me but they do not like me much. Penedesencas are ultra heat hardy though.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

They're doing great, I let them out to free range yesterday and they did wonderfully. I did LOL about the clean coop, I know it won't last for long! This is a garden coop that was recently built- it's too small for what I want to do with my chickens but it's good for right now! It'll be used as a broody palace or a quarantine area once I have our 'real' coop built.

Great to know about the legs perhaps changing color. I'll keep my eyes on her and see what happens. I don't know anything about the Penedesenca, but looking at some photos of them online, it does appear that she share quite in common with them.

FWIW, TheBanditQueen, whenever my dogs are outside, mine immediately make their warning sound- they seem pretty wary. I had them free range yesterday and they were aware of my location but also very alert, much more than my Faverolles.

• LindaB220, I'm excited for you to visit this area! I love it here. We live about 40 minutes north of Vancouver, although we did have a TORNADO 15 miles away from our house yesterday. A TORNADO. I'm a bit in shock still, haha!

Thanks again for all the comments!

They come from a land race breed so they have a history of being outside. They are a good color to avoid predators--white is a bad color. They are good foragers and the males will defend themselves. They are also big enough that hawks will think twice about going after them.

They are very easy to work with. I have some that are not easy to work with--penedesencas are not as flighty as leghorns but they really do not like people. They have never attacked me but they do not like me much. Penedesencas are ultra heat hardy though.
Ooh...landrace...you said the magic word. I do think the buffy barred color is very pretty too. (Am I understanding correctly that "Marraduna" is a color? Like, a Marraduna is a Basque, but a Basque isn't always a Marraduna?)

Are they very difficult to obtain?

FWIW, TheBanditQueen, whenever my dogs are outside, mine immediately make their warning sound- they seem pretty wary. I had them free range yesterday and they were aware of my location but also very alert, much more than my Faverolles.
Nice... Thinking about my next door neighbors who have three dogs but don't seem to understand the concept of fenced yards...
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom