Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Thanks to all for the kind words!

They're doing great, I let them out to free range yesterday and they did wonderfully. I did LOL about the clean coop, I know it won't last for long! This is a garden coop that was recently built- it's too small for what I want to do with my chickens but it's good for right now! It'll be used as a broody palace or a quarantine area once I have our 'real' coop built.

Great to know about the legs perhaps changing color. I'll keep my eyes on her and see what happens. I don't know anything about the Penedesenca, but looking at some photos of them online, it does appear that she share quite in common with them.

FWIW, TheBanditQueen, whenever my dogs are outside, mine immediately make their warning sound- they seem pretty wary. I had them free range yesterday and they were aware of my location but also very alert, much more than my Faverolles.

• LindaB220, I'm excited for you to visit this area! I love it here. We live about 40 minutes north of Vancouver, although we did have a TORNADO 15 miles away from our house yesterday. A TORNADO. I'm a bit in shock still, haha!

Thanks again for all the comments!
wishingbee where are you from? I'm out of Shreveport and am fairly used to tornados. I figure if it's my time, then running to a safe place is not going to help. Hallways in a mobile home is not really safe.
gig.gif
We get not very bad ones around here, maybe a really bad one about every 15 years. I'm glad to hear that the EO's are predator wary. I like being able to trust my surroundings. Hoping to get eggs really soon.

Quote:
wishingbee where are you from? I'm out of Shreveport and am fairly used to tornados. I figure if it's my time, then running to a safe place is not going to help. Hallways in a mobile home is not really safe.
gig.gif
We get not very bad ones around here, maybe a really bad one about every 15 years. I'm glad to hear that the EO's are predator wary. I like being able to trust my surroundings. Hoping to get eggs really soon.

We're in SW Washington, about 50 minutes north of Portland, OR. It was a whopping EF1, which is probably about the strength of a sneeze compared to the ones you might get! There's a lot of discussion about being prepared for earthquakes (I *am* a bit of a prepper when it comes to my earthquake kit!) but we hear next to nothing about tornadoes. Scary how easily an EF1 could pull off a roof though!

Ooh...landrace...you said the magic word. I do think the buffy barred color is very pretty too. (Am I understanding correctly that "Marraduna" is a color? Like, a Marraduna is a Basque, but a Basque isn't always a Marraduna?)

That's right... there are 5 varieties of Basque Hen in Spain, Red, Black White(Columbian), Barred Red, and Naked Neck. Some folkins in Canada have the Reds, too...

Quote:

We're in SW Washington, about 50 minutes north of Portland, OR. It was a whopping EF1, which is probably about the strength of a sneeze compared to the ones you might get! There's a lot of discussion about being prepared for earthquakes (I *am* a bit of a prepper when it comes to my earthquake kit!) but we hear next to nothing about tornadoes. Scary how easily an EF1 could pull off a roof though!
Yeah, my Mom had her roof taken off about 15 years ago on her double wide. The front porch was attached and a big wind, not even a tornado, just swooped under it and took it all. Had to replace home, furnishings, everything. Luckily, Mama heard it coming and got in the hall. Daddy just sat in his chair in his room. Practically the only room that wasn't destroyed. I lived in front of them and got a phone call. "Look out at my house". Wow, surreal. Poor daddy. He never went in it again. Mama spent a lot of time getting out all that could be saved but daddy was so in shock he stayed away. .

A few weeks ago, I asked for opinions to determine the sex of my mille fleur EO. At this point (around 8-9 weeks?), I think she's a pullet. Her legs remain relatively thin, the comb remains small and there's no wattle development. Comb, ears and wattle areas remain a pale yellow-peach.

A few weeks ago, I asked for opinions to determine the sex of my mille fleur EO. At this point (around 8-9 weeks?), I think she's a pullet. Her legs remain relatively thin, the comb remains small and there's no wattle development. Comb, ears and wattle areas remain a pale yellow-peach.

Yes, still a pullet!

Back
Top Bottom