Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Not that I know of in southern CA. Mine are finally up and running again after a long dry spell with no adult rooster. Sons of my roo below are finally producing. I have seven little ones in the brooder now :) We are in Herald near Sacramento and I will be shipping eggs and chicks this year. Christine
Sounds good! When I get a good broody girl, I'll think about some eggs.

Does anyone know of anyone breeding in San Diego? I haven't been able to find anyone local.

Yes. I got mine from a lady in SD county. She was in Jatapul area but I think she moved. The one I got ended up being a nice looking mille fleur.

Not that I know of in southern CA. Mine are finally up and running again after a long dry spell with no adult rooster. Sons of my roo below are finally producing. I have seven little ones in the brooder now :)

We are in Herald near Sacramento and I will be shipping eggs and chicks this year.

Christine

Nice Christine!

Where did you get them. They are looking like the Spanish Standard.

Yes. I got mine from a lady in SD county. She was in Jatapul area but I think she moved. The one I got ended up being a nice looking mille fleur.

Yes, I missed my chance to get a Basque from her. Every time I went out there, she didn't have any Basque chicks. She moved and now I'm trying to see if anyone else has them
1f629.png

Mine are from two groups I bought from Greenfire in 2011/2012. They are a struggle but I am trying to hang in there. Just lost one of my two remaining roosters this morning with no explanation -- sudden death probable though. GRRRRRRRRRRR
he.gif

I love the breed, but we will need more in from Spain I think to make them truly viable. Genetics are too tight right now. Anyone interested in working on this with chick swap please pm me. I still have some first and second generation laying hens in the group. And I have about 9 in the brooder now, but this breed is definitely a labor of love at this point!

I am also experimenting with adding heritage Rhode Island Red into a new hybrid pen. The rooster is gorgeous well barred 1/2 RIR 1/2 Basque. He is with his first Basque hen now.

I picked the RIR because they share comb type, yellow skin (love the bright yellow legs!), feather type, egg color and are of similar size and temperament. Also the maroon brown base looks fab in the cross! The first generation hens do not bar and I didn't keep any last year. Most carried a bit of white here and there mostly underneath and on their chest.

Oh, please no haters! I am not going to call them Basque. They do need a name though if I decide to keep going with the project---ideas?

This hopefully will add some much needed genetic health. The current rooster displays typical Basque temperament. He is friendly and fearless to the point of being obnoxious!

Mine are from two groups I bought from Greenfire in 2011/2012. They are a struggle but I am trying to hang in there. Just lost one of my two remaining roosters this morning with no explanation -- sudden death probable though. GRRRRRRRRRRR
he.gif

I love the breed, but we will need more in from Spain I think to make them truly viable. Genetics are too tight right now. Anyone interested in working on this with chick swap please pm me. I still have some first and second generation laying hens in the group. And I have about 9 in the brooder now, but this breed is definitely a labor of love at this point!

I am also experimenting with adding heritage Rhode Island Red into a new hybrid pen. The rooster is gorgeous well barred 1/2 RIR 1/2 Basque. He is with his first Basque hen now.

I picked the RIR because they share comb type, yellow skin (love the bright yellow legs!), feather type, egg color and are of similar size and temperament. Also the maroon brown base looks fab in the cross! The first generation hens do not bar and I didn't keep any last year. Most carried a bit of white here and there mostly underneath and on their chest.

Oh, please no haters! I am not going to call them Basque. They do need a name though if I decide to keep going with the project---ideas?

This hopefully will add some much needed genetic health. The current rooster displays typical Basque temperament. He is friendly and fearless to the point of being obnoxious!

maybe rhode island barreds or rhode island basques

Mine are from two groups I bought from Greenfire in 2011/2012. They are a struggle but I am trying to hang in there. Just lost one of my two remaining roosters this morning with no explanation -- sudden death probable though. GRRRRRRRRRRR :he I love the breed, but we will need more in from Spain I think to make them truly viable. Genetics are too tight right now. Anyone interested in working on this with chick swap please pm me. I still have some first and second generation laying hens in the group. And I have about 9 in the brooder now, but this breed is definitely a labor of love at this point! I am also experimenting with adding heritage Rhode Island Red into a new hybrid pen. The rooster is gorgeous well barred 1/2 RIR 1/2 Basque. He is with his first Basque hen now. I picked the RIR because they share comb type, yellow skin (love the bright yellow legs!), feather type, egg color and are of similar size and temperament. Also the maroon brown base looks fab in the cross! The first generation hens do not bar and I didn't keep any last year. Most carried a bit of white here and there mostly underneath and on their chest. Oh, please no haters! I am not going to call them Basque. They do need a name though if I decide to keep going with the project---ideas? This hopefully will add some much needed genetic health. The current rooster displays typical Basque temperament. He is friendly and fearless to the point of being obnoxious!
SO beautiful!

he.gif

Hi Chalk, I've been very interested in the Marraduna but due to the genetic issue you mention I've shied away and am going with another breed for now. I do still follow this thread though.
I couldn't resist when you asked for an idea for the name of your crosses.
smile.png

"Pluma Roja Basque"

Pluma Roja="Red feather" in Spanish

Back
Top Bottom