Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I have recently come across this bird as a large egg layer and now trying to find some! We have a family of 6 and eat our fresh eggs daily, so adding some larger eggs would be great! Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to purchase some hatching eggs? The closer to North Carolina the better because I sure haven't had the best luck with shipped eggs. Thank you for your help!

I have recently come across this bird as a large egg layer and now trying to find some! We have a family of 6 and eat our fresh eggs daily, so adding some larger eggs would be great! Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to purchase some hatching eggs? The closer to North Carolina the better because I sure haven't had the best luck with shipped eggs. Thank you for your help!

We got 17 of these in 2012. Some did lay some real large eggs (70+ grams), but others laid smaller eggs (62-65 grams). Our breeding hen from that group was one that laid 70+ gram eggs. In her offspring we saw a lot more consistency with the large eggs. If you are looking for large eggs it would be a good idea to ask flock owners if they cull for egg size and what range of eggs sizes they see from their 2nd year layers.

We got 17 of these in 2012.  Some did lay some real large eggs (70+ grams), but others laid smaller eggs (62-65 grams).  Our breeding hen from that group was one that laid 70+ gram eggs.  In her offspring we saw a lot more consistency with the large eggs.  If you are looking for large eggs it would be a good idea to ask flock owners if they cull for egg size and what range of eggs sizes they see from their 2nd year layers.

Ok thank you for the tip! Yes egg production and egg type would be what I'm interested in. We haven't gotten in to meat birds so I'm not worried about weights or anything, trying to raise them only for eggs :) I'm too attached to my chickens :)

I see hatch rates go up and down from year to year. I think that a lot of it has to do with where I place the incubator. When I had the Brinsea Eco 20 and Genesis 1588 in a bathroom in the house that only had a very small window that was 6 feet high and three interior walls I was getting 65%-95% hatch rates. When the incubators were moved from the house to an out building the hatch rates dropped about 30%. I bathroom had a steady room temperature with high humidity. The out building would have 40-50 deg temperature swings during the incubation process, large humidity swings, it had no exterior walls, larger windows, etc.

I also know that the parings make a difference in hatch rates. About 10% of my pairings have resulted in really low fertility. I know that one of those was from a hen that was unrelated to the cockerel she was paired with (they were different breeds), but three of these low fertility pairings were closely related (same breed from the same breeder).

I have only shipped eggs twice this year but they actually got higher hatch rates than I do (they must not have a 40-50 deg temperature range in their hatch room). It may be worth it to ship eggs as long as they are to someone that is an experienced hatcher, they know what hatch rates you have been getting, and are willing to work through the problem with you to help advance your line.

Back
Top Bottom