Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I'm still breeding but I would love to find a new rooster to add some new blood to my flock. It seems like there is not a lot of breeders of Basque anymore. Are you still breeding @Maggiesdad?

I'm still breeding but I would love to find a new rooster to add some new blood to my flock. It seems like there is not a lot of breeders of Basque anymore. Are you still breeding @Maggiesdad?

Yes, I'm still working with them. We have a NABHA pullet selection seminar coming up in about a week. Susan @Amblecroft we'd love to have you join the NABHA!

Sorry haven't read the whole 418 pages :D Did a search but couldn't find the answer.
Has anyone seen a Basque with feathered feet??
I was sold a trio of birds as "wheaten marans" and the colour is wrong. Reminded me of the Euskal Oiloas. The breeder also happened to have some of these and didn't seem to be paying a whole lot of attention to what she boxed up and handed me.
Pretty sketchy so could even be a cross.

As far as I know, no Basque hens of any kind have feathered legs or feet. This is either a cross( of Basque and very incorrect Wheaten Marans...someone is heavily Melanized and neither variety should be) ) or a heavily Melanized Wheaten Marans. I have seen this "burning " by the black melanizing before in Golden Salmon Marans ( same as Black Breasted Red). Either way it is not a correct Wheaten Marans nor a correct Basque hen. You got hosed. Get your money back. I think these birds will lay a much darker egg than a Basque hen should They are useless for breeding as the Melanizing gene is a very "sticky" gene. Hard to eliminate form a flock ad very easy to pollute an entire gene pool
Sorry,
Karen
p.s. don't feel too bad. I once paid 12.50 a chick for 12 Marans chicks. And they all ended up burnt like this. I gave them all away.

Last edited:
Hey Basque People!

Who's still working with the Euskal Oiloa stateside?
Not I....I was transferred with work from Texas to Oklahoma a year and a half ago and wasn't able to bring any mature birds with me.

I had been working with four breeds (some with multiple distinct bloodlines) and a few breeding projects but had been considering going to more traditional operation with a one breed flock for quite a while. Many people said that I would never be able to bring myself to cut back to one breed but I did. We decided to focus on Cream Legbars and to search for some one else to take over our EO, Marans, and Breda.

I did one big hatch before I moved. We got about 20 EO's about 20 BBS Breda Gueldre, about 30 Black Copper Marans, and about 35 Cream Legbars. We found a gentleman in Easter Texas who had kept a laying flock of hatcheries birds for a few decades who wanted to make a switch over to breeding EO's. We shipped him all the EO's from the hatch and he is now breeding the last of our EO's.

We never found the right person to take our Marans so we culled all the cockerels and took the pullets to Okie land with us. We did the same with the Breda. When the Marans were 18 weeks old I had 6 really nice Marans hens and two culls. I had three Cull Breda Hens. We kept the culls for eggs and sold the 6 Marans pullets to Marans Breeder in Oklahoma who is now breeding them.

My wife still want Zillara EO's to add to the laying flock. We will likely settle on some Light Sussex or Columbian Plymouth Rock but if anyone wants to cross some EO hens with a Light Sussex cock or Columbian Rock cock and send us the pullets we will take 10-15 of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom