Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

On of my cockerels gave me the hairy eyeball in the coop last night - bristled all up and started to hop at me. He was promptly pinned to the floor with his head pressed down until he stopped shrieking.

He is avoiding me now.

On of my cockerels gave me the hairy eyeball in the coop last night - bristled all up and started to hop at me.  He was promptly pinned to the floor with his head pressed down until he stopped shrieking.

He is avoiding me now.

I hope mine don't start doing that. So far, so good. Maybe now that you put him in his place, he won't mess with you.

I'm really hoping my two roosters won't fight each other. One is clearly dominant. I talk to mine when I carry them around, reminding them that if they fight, they will become dinner. :D

On of my cockerels gave me the hairy eyeball in the coop last night - bristled all up and started to hop at me. He was promptly pinned to the floor with his head pressed down until he stopped shrieking.

He is avoiding me now.

Quote: I haven't had a problem with the Basque boys yet. I did have a Cream Legbar Cockerel go after one of the other cockerels a couple of weeks ago. I grabbed the one that was the aggressor and put him into time out for the day. All has been well since.

Ron

Edited to correct spelling. Ron

Last edited:
Our Greenfire roo started crowing around 10-12 weeks! Our Skyline Roos were about 15-16 weeks at the time and quickly picked up on the crowing. At 21 weeks, no real mounting, just lots of chasing and no eggs. The Greenfire roo has started trying to mount his one girl this week at nearly 16 weeks.

I've read about these Basque chickens hopping on you in this forum, but haven't seen a photo of it. I thought perhaps mine were just a bit more edgy. They always come to eat out of my hand, but still remain unwilling to get caught - of course once they're held, they're mostly fine.

This evening, while opening up their mobile run to let them in their coop, I got to experience this in person. I absolutely loved it, and had to share. Definitely, the highlight of my day! They were both quite gentle as well.

My youngest cockerel, and my most timid but also sweetest hen, Molasses.

Thanks everyone for the tips about catching them as well. I think maturity on both of our ends is probably the best method. : )
Jennifer

I've read about these Basque chickens hopping on you in this forum, but haven't seen a photo of it. I thought perhaps mine were just a bit more edgy. They always come to eat out of my hand, but still remain unwilling to get caught - of course once they're held, they're mostly fine.

This evening, while opening up their mobile run to let them in their coop, I got to experience this in person. I absolutely loved it, and had to share. Definitely, the highlight of my day! They were both quite gentle as well.

Thanks everyone for the tips about catching them as well. I think maturity on both of our ends is probably the best method. : )
Jennifer

welcome-byc.gif
And to EO Basque chickens.

Mine won't get off of my hand when I carry them around. I will try to get a picture of one of them soon.

Ron

Jennifer

Great photo! :D

A few photos of my cockerel. he is 20 weeks old. No crowing yet, but saw him cover one of our Orpingtons. No eggs from anyone either.

That is a handsome cockerel. I have one with very similar coloring, but I'm not keeping him because he is extremely skittish and rather small.
I'm keeping my biggest, along with my friendliest/prettiest, at least for now.

Back
Top Bottom