Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Hi and welcome to BYC and the EO thread from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

They certainly are very pretty and nice birds to be around. I am hoping that they are as good producers as told. I think you will find many people offerering hatching eggs come spring, and James at Skyline poultry also sells chicks, as does Greenfire farms.

I started reading this thread last night... and I have to say, I haven't had much sleep (Not that I do anyways, with a one month old daughter). Sorry if this turns into a long babble, I have a bad habit with that. My hubby and I are new to the chicken world. I'm an animal trainer and when I found out we were expecting our first, I pulled a bit of an ultimatum and we bought our dream home. We're in SE Ontario on 23 acres. The previous owners kept pheasant... so I have 3 indoor runs that are roughly 5X20, a big brooder pen (and back up little brooders), as well as 6 runs that are around 6X12 inside, and again outside. I'm a bird fanatic in general... so this year we started to get a feel for it. We're trial and error people, and DH doesn't do anything in small batches! Right now I've got a mixed flock of broodies I've been raising as a part of the big picture. Hubby has a small Partridge Chantecler project in the works but I get to pick the main flock, who gets to free range in a big open feild DH keeps manicured as if it were a putting green! I've been working on finding the perfect homesteading bird in need of a little help. These guys seem amazing, and I love the support and chatter and excitement on these boards!

Hoping to source some eggs from various places next year... and help would be appreciated. We are right near the border at Ogdensburg NY and do our groceries there... you know, the usual. Flour, milk... eggs. Any help at pointing me in the right direction to get a strong stock foundation going next spring would be fantastic. Would love to get involved with this project on a larger scale! We have the means and the will, just a little dizzy on where to start! I am home all day, every day by choice and would love to contribute to something more exciting.

In the mean time, I'll keep reading. Cheers!

Hi Alexamac,

It is good to hear from you!

Skyline Poultry would be your best bet for EO Basque.

Ron

[=Www.euskaloiloas.com]
I started reading this thread last night... and I have to say, I haven't had much sleep (Not that I do anyways, with a one month old daughter).  Sorry if this turns into a long babble, I have a bad habit with that.  My hubby and I are new to the chicken world.  I'm an animal trainer and when I found out we were expecting our first, I pulled a bit of an ultimatum and we bought our dream home.  We're in SE Ontario on 23 acres.  The previous owners kept pheasant... so I have 3 indoor runs that are roughly 5X20, a big brooder pen (and back up little brooders), as well as 6 runs that are around 6X12 inside, and again outside.  I'm a bird fanatic in general... so this year we started to get a feel for it.  We're trial and error people, and DH doesn't do anything in small batches!  Right now I've got a mixed flock of broodies I've been raising as a part of the big picture.  Hubby has a small Partridge Chantecler project in the works but I get to pick the main flock, who gets to free range in a big open feild DH keeps manicured as if it were a putting green! I've been working on finding the perfect homesteading bird in need of a little help.  These guys seem amazing, and I love the support and chatter and excitement on these boards!

Hoping to source some eggs from various places next year... and help would be appreciated.  We are right near the border at Ogdensburg NY and do our groceries there... you know, the usual.  Flour, milk... eggs.  Any help at pointing me in the right direction to get a strong stock foundation going next spring would be fantastic.  Would love to get involved with this project on a larger scale!  We have the means and the will, just a little dizzy on where to start!  I am home all day, every day by choice and would love to contribute to something more exciting.

In the mean time, I'll keep reading.  Cheers!

Welcome! EOs are wonderful birds. I think you would really enjoy them as your homesteading flock. In Canada there are many sources. http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/index.php
Here in the U.S.A. there are a few also. Skyline and maggiesdad have eggs, I believe...

Last edited:
Yes, I'm still alive, lol. The Basque have far exceeded my expectation. They're truly a magnificent breed. My flocks are doing great. Its been a crazy season this year and I've barely had time for myself for anything other than work and the farm. I'm getting ready to get the wood shop setup for more nesting boxes. My flocks have gotten bigger. I wonder how that happened,lol. I'm reading the thread and catching up on everything. This is amazing at the people who have have become die hard Basque fans. Its wonderful to see this. Hello to everyone! Its nice to be back.

Back
Top Bottom