Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

This girl is clueless too. I think it might mean we have no style......
tongue.png
It's possible!
lol.png
Hopefully no one will notice!
hide.gif

Johnny, my boyfriend, is doing great. He got all of his staples out of his leg yesterday and started water physical therapy today. He's so excited to be able to walk in the pool! Thank you guys for your support!
So glad to hear it!! Sounds like great progress.

yes. thanks Ron. good info.
x2!

I've got an Easter Hatch EO pullet who is laying! I've gotten four eggs in the last week or so. They are pretty little brown eggs with great orange yolks. I am very pleased! Funny thing is that I hatched a Brown Leghorn pullet at the same time, and she isn't laying yet!

I wormed my birds with Valbazen, which I got free from a fellow BYC member. She even came over with an oral syringe and helped me dose them! :) . I treated with Ivermectin pour-on at the same time, since mine had mites and lice. And then I re-treated with both in 10 days.

I've only done it once. Maybe I'll do it yearly? I don't know. I didn't eat the eggs for 10 days after dosing, but I fed them all to the roosters I was growing out, since they weren't processed until 2 months later.

Ditch the Valbazen! Eat the eggs!

Ron

I read that Ivermectin will not treat tape worm, and is less effective on cecal and gizzard worms. I never saw any signs of worms in my flock, but one bird that died and I had necropsied did have a heavy load of cecal worms (among other issues).

The BYC member that gave me the Valbazen is a pharmacist, so she knew the half-life of both the drugs in humans (apparently both are used in humans), and I think she said she eats the eggs after 3 days. But lots of other people on here say to wait 10 days, even just with Ivermectin, and I was paranoid.

Would you eat the eggs right away if you were using the pour-on? Or only for the one you put in the water? It seems like if it is in their blood stream, it must be in the egg (even if it is not really harmful). I also read that if it is the first time worming, you should use Wazine. I read that AFTER I had already wormed for the first time with Valbazen/ivermectin, and luckily all was well.

Quote: I read that Ivermectin will not treat tape worm, and is less effective on cecal and gizzard worms. I never saw any signs of worms in my flock, but one bird that died and I had necropsied did have a heavy load of cecal worms (among other issues).

The BYC member that gave me the Valbazen is a pharmacist, so she knew the half-life of both the drugs in humans (apparently both are used in humans), and I think she said she eats the eggs after 3 days. But lots of other people on here say to wait 10 days, even just with Ivermectin, and I was paranoid.

Would you eat the eggs right away if you were using the pour-on? Or only for the one you put in the water? It seems like if it is in their blood stream, it must be in the egg (even if it is not really harmful). I also read that if it is the first time worming, you should use Wazine. I read that AFTER I had already wormed for the first time with Valbazen/ivermectin, and luckily all was well.

Tape worms are very rare in Chickens. A vet will do a fecal float test for less than $10.00. It's the same test they do for dogs. Round worms are very common and almost all free range chickens get them. If they have cecal worms then see if the 1/4cc by mouth will kill those(not pour on). I would bet they have round worms only though. You would see tape worms and gape worms are obvious. Gape worms come form eating earth worms, so if the dead one did not have them they are not at your place.

Pour on is better for mites and less able to kill the intestinal worms. Injectable is better at killing intestinal worms but not as good at the mites and lice. Both types kill both types of parasite though. Last spring I used injectable and got rid of Mites and worms.

We have eaten the eggs every time with absolutely now problems. The confusion comes with being able to sell them. That covers everything you give them, including vitamins I think! The eggs have been tested and Ivermectin does not get into the eggs. With pour on it gets into the oil glands at the feathers so it might be a problem for eating them.

Using Wazine is recommended if the chickens have a lot of worms. It kills them slower so the chance of intestinal blockage is lower. I just give them Injectable Ivermectin at 4 months or so. like the quote said, the pullets can have permanent reproductive damage caused by worms at that age. In other words, no eggs for you!

The only problem that make sense is making the worms resistant to the medicine if you use it too often.

I hope this helps!

so here's a non-wormy question: my two EO chicks are 6 weeks old as of yesterday, and Baby remains something of a gender mystery -- pale coloring & slow-to-develop tail feathers, but also a comb identical in size to Eleanor's, not showing any sign of growing yet. any thoughts on which gender-indicators to trust more at this point?

will try to get new photos later this morning, it's still a bit dark now!

so here's a non-wormy question: my two EO chicks are 6 weeks old as of yesterday, and Baby remains something of a gender mystery -- pale coloring & slow-to-develop tail feathers, but also a comb identical in size to Eleanor's, not showing any sign of growing yet. any thoughts on which gender-indicators to trust more at this point?

will try to get new photos later this morning, it's still a bit dark now!
There are two that are close to 100%, Crowing and egg laying
lau.gif

Seriously, you will know sooner because of the Male pattern being very different from the female.

pop.gif
I always like to see pictures.

Ron

edited to add: With some breeds, the color of the comb and the color and size of the Wattle is a good way to tell. There should be no pink to the comb and the wattle should either not be present or be a very small yellow.

Last edited:
There are two that are close to 100%, Crowing and egg laying
lau.gif

Seriously, you will know sooner because of the Male pattern being very different from the female.

pop.gif
I always like to see pictures.

Ron

edited to add: With some breeds, the color of the comb and the color and size of the Wattle is a good way to tell. There should be no pink to the comb and the wattle should either not be present or be a very small yellow.

as promised -- photos!

baby & the (younger) isbar chick, who is looking more and more male as it gets older...

eleanor, for comparison -- she's thinking about flying up to my shoulder, which she did right after this

baby -- always with a fairly hunched-up stance & slightly disappointed expression! also harder to photograph, not as friendly/brave as eleanor

getting a snack together -- their combs are the same size & yellow color, but feathers very different.

Last edited:
That is interesting. No color in comb or wattles yet?

My young roo has clear and distinct wattles hanging and a big red comb!
Like Ron said, More time will tell. Within the next 4 weeks you will know for sure.
Hold on to Her/Him. If its a girl, Nice!! If its a boy ill take him in.

Did you order any chicks from Skyline?

hey thanks -- i'll keep keeping an eye on him/her! i suppose a little gender confusion is to be expected in northern CA...

and re: looking puffy, yes taken this morning although not particularly cold, but that's more or less how s/he always looks -- still, i could give them some corrid when i get home this afternoon, just in case... both certainly skipping around the coop actively, the two EOs are much more adventurous in exploring beyond their inside-the-coop enclosure than the two cream legbars are! even sometimes coming out when the Big Girls are still in the coop, despite getting pecked on the head...

hope everyone's having a lovely friday!

Back
Top Bottom