Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

NP...Neat picture. The proud 'Chicken Daddy" must have really yellow legs.....Look at that bright yellow on those babies legs...........................

totally random & somewhat tangential story, but here it is: a friend of mine comes from an old Basque sheep-herding family, and is making award-winning sheep's cheese (utterly delicious) utilizing her old family heritage -- I'll be seeing her this weekend, and mentioned my two EO chicklets -- and she'd never HEARD of Basque chickens! i have the feeling a new flock will be established soon...

her wesbite:
http://barinagaranch.com/

seriously: best cheese ever.

totally random & somewhat tangential story, but here it is: a friend of mine comes from an old Basque sheep-herding family, and is making award-winning sheep's cheese (utterly delicious) utilizing her old family heritage -- I'll be seeing her this weekend, and mentioned my two EO chicklets -- and she'd never HEARD of Basque chickens!  i have the feeling a new flock will be established soon...

her wesbite:
http://barinagaranch.com/

seriously: best cheese ever.

Mmmmm..... Looks good! DH is avoiding cow's milk (gives him heartburn) so we've been trying all kinds of goat and sheep cheeses. Too bad it hasn't made it to Maine (although I am impressed with the far flung places it has made it!)

I'll have to seek it out when I visit my sisters (AK and CA).

This is sheep cheese DIRECTLY from Montegi in Basque-Spain . Barrio De Munitibar That's where my grandparents live. They do own sheep's and chickens. And own lots of land. They own these trees that are cut down about every 10 Years and wood grain is made from them. They have a ranch and everything. It's real deal. The cheese is made by my uncles family. They all live at Montegi. They have been making it for forever I'm sure. It's by far the beat cheese I ever ate. Real creamy. But real strong. I still smell it on my hands typing this. Just made a porsucito sandwich on a French baguette with this cheese. My pops said it sells for £60 for a small roll over there! So over here just imagine....

Last edited:
I just looked at the website. Her sheep are not the same sheep they raise in the Basque country. So I'm sure it affects the taste a lot.

no, the sheep themselves are not Basque, but Marcia's family is and her cheese-making process is -- and the cheese itself is utterly delicious. she's been winning lots of awards with it lately!

Back
Top Bottom