Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

Well for me their disposition is paramount. I don't care what animal I am breeding, from chickens to bulls they have to be reliably safe. Even the most agressive fighting cocks are most often reliably safe for humans. For a rooster to be protective of his flock does not mean he should be agressive towards humans, especally one he sees daily. Just my 2 cents
My main rooster, his name is Macho.
Perfect name for him! This guy is lucky I need him for a future breeding project. He is almost "perfect" looking. But he attacks me about twice a week at least.
I think he's not used to me wearing jeans. Since its been cooler I'm wearing jeans again. He will attack my legs. And he's done it a few times while I've been on the phone walking around in the chicken area. Or even just around him and the girls. He dosent like me being on the phone.
It's kind of funny to me. The way his neck flares out! And how he charges! It cracks me up!
But for now he's safe from the stew pot....
Or maybe not....
This weekend ill have 18 new EO babies to choose new breeders.
How important is temperament to you guys???
I would like to breed in traits that people would be happy with when I plan on sharing down the road.
To me a slightly aggressive rooster is not that bad if you have predator problems. I do wish someday I can actually have a rooster that will protect his hens even if it means his own life... But that's just IMO.
What are some of the traits that are important to you guys in your EO breeding projects?

For me personally, I am interested in this breed because I want a human-friendly bird that can tolerate the heat well (and doesn't stop egg production in the heat).

My main rooster, his name is Macho.

Perfect name for him! This guy is lucky I need him for a future breeding project. He is almost "perfect" looking. But he attacks me about twice a week at least.
I think he's not used to me wearing jeans. Since its been cooler I'm wearing jeans again. He will attack my legs. And he's done it a few times while I've been on the phone walking around in the chicken area. Or even just around him and the girls. He dosent like me being on the phone.

It's kind of funny to me. The way his neck flares out! And how he charges! It cracks me up!

But for now he's safe from the stew pot....

Or maybe not....

This weekend ill have 18 new EO babies to choose new breeders.

How important is temperament to you guys???
I would like to breed in traits that people would be happy with when I plan on sharing down the road.

To me a slightly aggressive rooster is not that bad if you have predator problems. I do wish someday I can actually have a rooster that will protect his hens even if it means his own life... But that's just IMO.

What are some of the traits that are important to you guys in your EO breeding projects?

Temperment is important. He is young and maybe he does not like your pants! Are they red?

My Dorking hated the lawn mower--it is orange.

Roosters will go through a teenage phase so give him some time. He never was too aggressive so this is new for him. Something may be going on right now. Increased predators like hawks?

Before you send him to freezer camp, let me know. I am working in getting a place for Roosters. My Three pullets laid two eggs today. I sure wish I had a roo for them....

As Ron said, sometimes young roosters seem to get hormone surges that make them overly macho, and can sometimes calm down when a little older. Having said that, I would not tolerate a rooster that attacked me at any time - ever. Especially a big roo like these EO's get to be.

Temperment is important. He is young and maybe he does not like your pants! Are they red?

My Dorking hated the lawn mower--it is orange.

Roosters will go through a teenage phase so give him some time. He never was too aggressive so this is new for him. Something may be going on right now. Increased predators like hawks?

Before you send him to freezer camp, let me know. I am working in getting a place for Roosters. My Three pullets laid two eggs today. I sure wish I had a roo for them....

I'd like to see that one! No, wait - how does that work?!!!
hmm.png

big_smile.png

Well for me their disposition is paramount. I don't care what animal I am breeding, from chickens to bulls they have to be reliably safe. Even the most agressive fighting cocks are most often reliably safe for humans. For a rooster to be protective of his flock does not mean he should be agressive towards humans, especally one he sees daily. Just my 2 cents
I definitely understand how you feel. If he (Macho) wasn't so important to me I probably would have no reluctance to cull him. Sell or eat. But he is a Rare breed, and I would like to see his offspring. Is it a gauruntee that he will pass on an aggressive temperment to his offspring?
For me personally, I am interested in this breed because I want a human-friendly bird that can tolerate the heat well (and doesn't stop egg production in the heat).
Well these are definitely a breed you want to have I'm your coop!
Temperment is important. He is young and maybe he does not like your pants! Are they red? My Dorking hated the lawn mower--it is orange. Roosters will go through a teenage phase so give him some time. He never was too aggressive so this is new for him. Something may be going on right now. Increased predators like hawks? Before you send him to freezer camp, let me know. I am working in getting a place for Roosters. My Three pullets laid two eggs today. I sure wish I had a roo for them....
Nope. Just regular jeans. Black and blue jeans. He's at all in no danger! Right now he is in with all my eating egg layers and does a good job with them. There was a lot of hawk activity here, but they seemed to have thinned out so not really as much lately. It probably is just a teenage thing. And I'm sure he'll calm down as he gets older. He does eat from my hand without a problem. It just seems like he's unsure about me?
As Ron said, sometimes young roosters seem to get hormone surges that make them overly macho, and can sometimes calm down when a little older. Having said that, I would not tolerate a rooster that attacked me at any time - ever. Especially a big roo like these EO's get to be.
He is getting big!

Is it a gauruntee that he will pass on an aggressive temperment to his offspring?

I am not certain about chicken genetics but for example in Longhorns temperment is very highly inheritable.

I am also NOT making a judgement about whether or not your roosters activity constitutes an overly agressive rooster. You asked is temperment is important and in my opinion it is very important. Nice looking rooster btw. We are hoping to breed the lighter more yellow colors to easily differentiate them from our Rhodebars.

Back
Top Bottom