Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

I've noticed that my Basques are the lowest on the totem pole (pecking order). Both my roosters are always getting beat up and the two Basque girls are always the first to summit to the roosters. They are so sweet though. : )

~ Aspen

Quote:
My Marraduna are in a pen with a Dorking x Ameraucana Easter Egger. The boss is one of the Marraduna. She was fluffing and pecking at my Blue Marans through the pen wire yesterday. It is so funny to see them go at each other that way.

If the Basque are younger than the others, then that would explain the pecking order. The younger ones are almost always on the bottom. After a year or so the order might change.

I've noticed that my Basques are the lowest on the totem pole (pecking order). Both my roosters are always getting beat up and the two Basque girls are always the first to summit to the roosters. They are so sweet though. : )

~ Aspen
I have one Basque at the top of the order (and I have quite a few extra boys right now) and one near the bottom. My girls are sweet, but they definitely hold their own. They are nowhere near the bottom of the order.

My Marraduna are in a pen with a Dorking x Ameraucana Easter Egger. The boss is one of the Marraduna. She was fluffing and pecking at my Blue Marans through the pen wire yesterday. It is so funny to see them go at each other that way.

If the Basque are younger than the others, then that would explain the pecking order. The younger ones are almost always on the bottom. After a year or so the order might change.
Mine are all a year old, at least. They are just much more laid back than the others.

~ Aspen

Quote:
Wait until they have been together a year.

Yours are a year old? I thought the hatching eggs were from pullets that had just started laying?

I have 23 week old Heritage RIR pullets that are bigger than any of my other chickens. They are on the bottom now, but watch out next year.

Wait until they have been together a year.

Yours are a year old? I thought the hatching eggs were from pullets that had just started laying?

I have 23 week old Heritage RIR pullets that are bigger than any of my other chickens. They are on the bottom now, but watch out next year.

Ooooo....pretty RIRs, Ron!

Back
Top Bottom