Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

:confused: She is the only one that comes to me and jumps up onto my arm. She then marches right up to my shoulder.

It is too funny...

Ron

How sweet! My two EO girls are always under my feet, I have to be careful not to step on them. They have never learned the meaning of "MOVE!" LOL

~ Aspen

Someday, I'd like some EOs from your gene pool. Sounds like a lot of fun!

my basque girl Eleanor similarly loves to jump/fly up on my shoulder, and has become the boss of the younger flock (5 pullets all about 12 weeks old):

and the newest one, Maggie, is unfortunately at the absolute bottom of the pecking order right now, but i have the feeling she'll move up through the ranks once things settle down -- she's got a more reddish color than Eleanor, both are gorgeous:

Last edited:
I have to say those all some great looking birds. It does seem like everyone is pretty much starting at the same point plus or minus a year. I am excited to see so many birds. Before these last couple of post, I was thinkin' there were just 2 or 3 people serious about EOs.

qball53 - are you planning to use the white hen? She is amazing looking. Kind of reminds me of a snowflake bobwhite quail.

Masked rider ........ Yes it is my intention to use the white hen, she has a hint of yellow. We are curious as to what she may throw. We don't have enough birds to limit our DNA pool at this time. We'll see if she throws more of the yellow or if her offspring are white. We wouldn't mind a limited number of the white birds in our flock. I want to keep the flock more light and yellow as opposed to the burnt orange red of the Rhodebar.

I separated my EOs from the main flock a course of weeks ago and they immediately went on strike and stopped laying. They just started to lay again 2 days ago, but I'm a little concerned. I used the eggs from Saturday in an omelet this morning (yum!), and they weren't fertile.

The roo I have in with them was not the dominant boy. I've seen him trying to do his job, but the girls don't seem to like him. Has anyone had this problem? Will they accept him eventually or will I need to give them a new man? I hope not...I REALLY like the one in with them. The others I have either have a lot of white or have side sprigs. :(

I separated my EOs from the main flock a course of weeks ago and they immediately went on strike and stopped laying. They just started to lay again 2 days ago, but I'm a little concerned. I used the eggs from Saturday in an omelet this morning (yum!), and they weren't fertile.

The roo I have in with them was not the dominant boy. I've seen him trying to do his job, but the girls don't seem to like him. Has anyone had this problem? Will they accept him eventually or will I need to give them a new man? I hope not...I REALLY like the one in with them. The others I have either have a lot of white or have side sprigs.
sad.png

Unless you use a microscope and a micrometer is is nearly impossible to tell if an egg is fertile by looking at it. Throw a couple into the bator and you will know it the eggs are fertile in a week.

fl.gif

The roo I have in with them was not the dominant boy. I've seen him trying to do his job, but the girls don't seem to like him. Has anyone had this problem? Will they accept him eventually or will I need to give them a new man? I hope not...I REALLY like the one in with them. The others I have either have a lot of white or have side sprigs.
sad.png
I'll be happy to test hatch some eggs for you! I'm all out of egg-buying money at the moment, but I could swing the shipping. I really would love to, so PM me if you want to send me some to see if they are fertile.
big_smile.png

heya aspen!

i got 4 gorgeous splash cochins and one duckie from the eggs you sent. unfortunately, i couldn't keep the ducks, i put a few more eggs under that broody duck, and they went to live with some folks on a few acres and took my silver appleyards with them
hit.gif
but that duckie was soooooo cute, all black except its chest. i may need some more of those come spring. the cochins are 3 weeks, i think and one has been crowing for 2 weeks already! i thought it was the basque i put in there, but i gave the basque to someone else and still heard crowing and then i saw it! crazy. but they are cute. no self blues hatched. i set also put in some basque and got a white one. my friend is going to raise them a bit and i'll go pick up a few pullets and she will keep the rest.

sad.png

I've heard the amount of light affects the rooster, too. Do you have supplemental lighting in your breeding pen? How are you judging the girls don't like him? I've also read the hen can expel the rooster's deposit if they don't like the rooster. That can make things difficult. If the girls just started laying, I'd keep cracking every day, checking for results.

How about your new boy's vent size? Good read here by Don Schrider in BYP magazine.

Glen

Back
Top Bottom