evaluating droppings

urbanfred

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Portland
I'm curious about what one can learn about their chicken's health from the nature of their droppings. My three girls (2 R.I. reds, 1 bantam featherlegged cochin), put out very different droppings from day to day. They are free-range in my back yard and all eat basically the same thing. The droppings range from normal and bulky, to some solid with lots of liquid, to all liquid. This can change each day, with each chicken. What's going on?

I was wondering the same thing. I was sitting out in the chicken yard the other day and heard a faint lil poot and looked over to find one of my girls had just pooped out something clear and bubbly. It's very weird. Sometimes they're solid sometimes runny. What gives?

I think what you are seeing is normal with free range chickies. Thier diet changes daily...with different amounts of bugs and such. Now worry if they are eating and running around normally.

I'm no chicken poop expert for sure, but when my hens are free ranging their poop varies quite a bit depending on what they've eaten. I don't worry about it unless it stays watery for days and days without ever going back to firm.
If you're very concerned you can confine them to just regular feed for a few days and see what happens. But if everyone looks happy and healthy, they probably are.

I see the same variance, but all the girls seem happy and healthy. I see several of them make the 50 foot dash after the same flying cicada but only one gets the treat. I keep thinking of my GreatGrandma's chickens who never saw the inside of a manufactured bag of feed but layed eggs for the family just the same. Do we get a bit over protective if they are actually free ranging in an area with bugs grains and greens?

Back
Top Bottom