Evaluation please *graphic* (not emergency, but not good)

May 26, 2021
I interrupted the coyote attack last night. Everybody survived, but the one it tried to make off with has definitely seen better days. She’s a 2.5 yo cayuga. After injury, she was taken in to ICU, put in a tub, wounds flushed and triple antibiotic applied, and given nutridrench. She’s been drinking well, and looks like she’s nibbled on the cooked eggs I served up. I ordered Aqua mox today.

I thought she was dead when I found her, but was likely in shock on account of being grabbed by her head and dragged. I tucked her in a safe place while I chased the varmint away, and she’d already started showing more signs of life when I came back to her. Currently, about 18 hours later, she stands and moves fine, but is missing her scalp and is mostly blind. I can’t see either of her eyes. She acknowledged a flashlight well on one side, not sure about the other.

So— just wondering about chances of recovery, quality of life, etc. She’s soldiering on, but it looks rough.

I’ve seen some pretty gnarly stories and pics on this forum, and some amazing recoveries, but—ya know. I like to be real.

Attachments

• A9D88773-F433-4924-A1DB-B3DFE6969082.jpeg
    A9D88773-F433-4924-A1DB-B3DFE6969082.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 15
  • F63A5046-AEA1-499B-8E06-45D845DD82CA.jpeg
    F63A5046-AEA1-499B-8E06-45D845DD82CA.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 4
  • EED3602A-E2CD-401E-BE9F-AC46DB631C8D.jpeg
    EED3602A-E2CD-401E-BE9F-AC46DB631C8D.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 613AB200-4BF3-4440-B849-15259D923012.jpeg
    613AB200-4BF3-4440-B849-15259D923012.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 4
Will she eat? Drink?

Any injuries to legs or will she move around?

Does the side that does not react to light look encrusted shut, or empty? If it looks crusty from blood, I would give her a chance to heal for a couple more days to see if she lost the eye or if the eyelid is stuck closed.

Depending if the bird shows signs of improvement or not influences my choice to continue treating an injury vs mercy culling.

Will she eat? Drink?

Any injuries to legs or will she move around?

Does the side that does not react to light look encrusted shut, or empty? If it looks crusty from blood, I would give her a chance to heal for a couple more days to see if she lost the eye or if the eyelid is stuck closed.

Depending if the bird shows signs of improvement or not influences my choice to continue treating an injury vs mercy culling.
She’s been drinking like a champ, and I think she’s eaten some of the cooked eggs I gave her.
Near as I can tell, the eye socket doesn’t look empty—it’s just all kind of a mangled black feather mess right now.
The rest of her is fine—no injuries other than the head. Her legs are *strong*. I’ve been pushing her down to keep her from trying to flap out of the tub, and she always resists, but then relaxes.

I am tagging @Miss Lydia and @Isaac 0 for help. Again I am not a duck expert, but I would keep nursing her wounds. Flush her eyes with saline eye wash, and use some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin in the eyes 2-3 times a day. The swelling may go down where you can see her eyes to see if they are intact or gone. Here wounds should heal if she has no internal injuries.

I agree with @Eggcessive follow that advise. She may lose eyesight but if it's only one eye she will adapt. I have a Muscovy who is blind in one eye, If she loses her sight completely she can still live fairly normal she'll just have to be kept where she'll be safe and I'd put another duck with her to help her find food and water. But this is if she is completely blind. Use the warm saline to rinse her wounds both on her head and eyes and either Terramycin eye ointment or Neo. They really are amazing how they can recover from some brutal attacks. And since she is showing signs already she isn't giving up hang in there with her. Please keep us updated on how she is doing. If you live where flies are still out then be sure to keep her where they can't get to her and lay eggs in her wounds. Def keep her inside while she is healing.
And please if your letting your ducks stay out at night reconsider, this coyote will be back and probably all kinds of other predators.

Thanks, y’all. Poor girl looks miserable, but is definitely not giving up without a fight. She’s inside and protected (and most likely lonely without her husband).

I put my ducks to bed at night in cages. There’s a large enclosure big enough for all of them, but there’s a smaller cage I use to separate (angsty drakes, new birds, fledgling babies, etc) usually during the day to keep flock peace. It is meant to be closed with a spring hook, but that fell off some time ago, and I’ve been closing it with clips instead. Not very predator proof, but again, it wasn’t really meant for overnight use. I just got lazy.

This lady (Hammie) and her husband (George) sometimes like to put themselves to bed in that smaller cage away from the younger ducks, and since they’re the OG’s, I’ve let them stay in it overnight. We’ve had the flock for two and a half years without any evidence of night predators. We’re suburban, so I allowed myself to believe that opportunists like coons and coyotes would rather dig through trash than go to all the work of breaking in and catching something alive. Welp. Lesson learned. The hard way.

I know now she is painful do you have any Meloxicam left over from a dog or cat vet visit?
Maybe her husband can come in and at least visit with her even if not in the same place just so they can see each other. They can get depressed when alone. 2 dog crates side by side maybe?

She got a bath in the tub, and that really seemed to improve her outlook on life. She’s busy preening here. Watched her eat..she was hungry! Also saw movement in her left eye, which is the one I was concerned about. The other one is still swollen.

I’ll see what I can do about having her hubby stop by for a visit. :)

1113ED32-188E-4364-A694-CCFA4343C311.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom