Even Keets are flighty, at least there kinda cute for now, Anyone tame a guinea?

Your guineas (at least the hens from your video) are wonderful!! They are no more aggravated by your intrusion than most chicken hens. I often read suggestions (about chickens) NOT to breed aggressive roosters...that sweet parents will produce sweet offspring. So do you think it's all social with your keets growing up calmer and more trusting...being brought up by calm, human-friendly adults, or do you think there's a genetic component??? I'm adding guineas next spring, and I HOPE you'll be selling/shipping eggs when that time comes!
Thank you for your kind words
I agree.. My guineas are wonderful... The hens from my video were being really mean. When I am not taking their eggs/babies they are so much nicer. lol
I am not sure about genetics.... It could maybe be a fact over time.

I have been training mine as therapy birds for 3 seasons. All of my birds are tame to touch, I can lift wings, feed by hand, call by bells.
My first flock I put a lot of time in them. I am finding that each year it gets easier. Yes, my guineas do help train the others. And silly as it sounds my dogs help train them also. Guineas are far smarter than people give them credit for.
They are passing their tameness down. My first flock was terrified of me when I got them. They were wild... It took time to get them to trust.. eventually follow my lead. Now I can do anything around them.
My next flock was also terrified at first. We sat in front of them for hours to get anywhere. Then one day they saw us with the older ones and their fear seemed to leave. We started working with them with the adults and they caught on really fast. With this flock I can seem to even pick where they lay their eggs.
This years group that I am training, was hatched by our hens and have never shown fear of us. It is kind of amazing how easy Goldilocks and the 3 Brown Bears have been to train. All the babies seem easier..
But I have found it goes both ways. Birds I have trained for weeks can go to another location and take on the fear of the other flocks. I had that happen this year. It took me weeks to get my flock not to be afraid of their new owner. And I think the only reason it finally worked.. She gave her old flock to her sister. The old flock was over 2 years old and was never tamed or trained at all. They would run shrieking from her when she went in to feed them. And it freaked my babies out.
I really do believe that they can sense the fear of the other guineas. That's why I always tame the whole flock and not just 1 or 2.

There is no doubt next spring we will have guineas and eggs... I am addicted to them and their hidden benefits.

Back
Top Bottom