Ever had this happen?

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
Okay, I've just about seen it all.

Eggs laid with just barely a membrane, eggs with soft shells, deformed eggs, double yolks...but never this.

One of my Jerseys has laid the tiniest egg I've ever seen. They normally lay good-sized large eggs, but this one is bantam sized and perfectly shaped. I candled it out of curiosity, and it has no yolk with only a tiny air cell about the diameter of a pencil eraser.

I laughed my butt off!

I has never happened to me (yet)- but I've heard of tiny eggs being laid.

Personally, I got my first membrane only egg and my first double yolker in January. I was weird weather then too and shortly thereafter, the ladies started to eat oystershell like there was no tomorrow.

Sandra

I will get a lot of double yolkers when my chickens first start laying eggs usually until their reproductive systems gets synchronize. Never seen a egg laid without a yolk.

Last edited:
Okay. It was a struggle, but I got the camera!

010.jpg

I love the Teeny Weenies...
big_smile.png

Darn. A bit out of focus.

Lol...I've seen a few of those... They're called "Wind" eggs, or "Rooster" eggs. They usually are a perfect but tiny shell, little or no yolk, and all they mean is someone is gearing up, or someone is gearing down to broody, laying, end of laying before molt, or first egg after molt...

I've never seen anything about them to be concerned over.... (They are cute though....)
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom