Every chicken has gone!

El-in-Oz

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2016
Victoria, Australia
Went down to my girls today and found nothing but feathers. We have an automatic door opener so it must've happened early today. I rushed out the door early this morning, usually I would go check on them. I am absolutely devastated. I'm assuming a fox and I understand they can get over even reasonably high fencing but I can't work out how it got the hens out. There is not one body to be found but no feathers on the outside od their run. I reckon it was waiting for the door to open as there are a lot of feathers in the coop too. Just gutted, I can't imagine how scared they would've been.

I would think you would find a carcass if it was a fox. How many hens? I am sorry to hear this....

Six. There is one spot where I can see a bit of wing and some guts, that's all. I told myself not to get too attached but I did.

BELIEVE ME it is perfectly normal to get attached!

Do you have pics of the crime scene? Maybe where you saw the guts?

Again I am very sorry to hear this...

Sorry to hear about your girls :hugs
I totally understand as the same happened to me and it was devastating. The fox killed all my birds and took them all barring one which it left behind. I know it was a fox as it came back for several nights after killing my birds looking for another meal until it was shot when sneaking back in again.

Try not to beat yourself up about it, I know that is easier said than done :hugs

Thanks for your kind words. Might be a while before we get more. I need a bit of time. I can't believe how they'd got into my heart so quick. Funny chickens with their own funny ways.

You can try but it is hard not to get attached to. My very first flock I had all but one get killed by a dog. I was devastated and cried for hours. So sorry about your loss. I hope you find the culprit so you can figure out how to keep future chickies safe.
Best wishes.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost 4 to a fox and 1 that has been traumatized we call lucky. I've read that foxes pair up in the fall which I got tagged team
1f43a.png
1f43a.png
I always figured it would be coyotes trying to get them.Again sorry for your loss
1f641.png

Back
Top Bottom